WAG Floor Music

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
What are the rules for floor music? I know it has to be certain lengths depending on level, but could I choose any music? I have not heard any music I like with the 'pre packaged ' stuff and I am wondering if I can take plain old Karaoke music and have it trimmed down. I know it cant have voice or words singing, but karaoke music is perfect. Are there copyright issues here?

As long as you have legally purchased the music and are not using it for commercial sales, you can use any music you want. (You already know about the no words rule) I believe the only other requirement is that your music have a fast and slow portion.

Technically, it isn't even REQUIRED to have a fast and slow portion, but it makes for a tough floor routine if it doesn't have both, lol.
It is possible to use legally purchased karaoke music, but be careful as some have words in the background or in the chorus - it stinks when you have to leave out the entire chorus of a song ... especially when that was the most important part they wanted.

When cutting it yourself, you want to make sure it doesnt sound choppy or disjointed and PLEASE make sure it ends at a LOGICAL ending point. (We were at one meet where parents were quietly singing along to the music and the routine was over mid-word... didn't make sense to anyone.)

Back in the day I used to cut all my own music, using a tape recorder of all things. I'd imagine if you get a music editing programme it'd be much easier to cut it cleanly :)

Rather than Karaoke (which might not have the melody?) also look at instrumental versions- I used to use stuff like Classic Rock albums which had some really good versions. I found "extended versions" aka 12" :p would often have good intro and mid portions which I could cut together. Also albums of film scores :)

There is a version of Rock Lobster available from Jumptwist music (here). I don't know if you've heard it and don't like the version, but I thought I'd mention it in case you hadn't.

Technically, it isn't even REQUIRED to have a fast and slow portion, but it makes for a tough floor routine if it doesn't have both, lol.
It is possible to use legally purchased karaoke music, but be careful as some have words in the background or in the chorus - it stinks when you have to leave out the entire chorus of a song ... especially when that was the most important part they wanted.

When cutting it yourself, you want to make sure it doesnt sound choppy or disjointed and PLEASE make sure it ends at a LOGICAL ending point. (We were at one meet where parents were quietly singing along to the music and the routine was over mid-word... didn't make sense to anyone.)

Yeah, my DD's floor music, purchased from Energym, doesn't have a slow portion. But it does change style. However, it's a popular disney song that doesn't have a slow section.

And can I just seriously second the portion of Raenndrops' post highlighted in green! It seems like every meet we go to, someone's floor music just ends in the most awkward place. It feels like someone is just standing at the computer and hits stop when the routine is done. I hate it and I personally think it ought to be a deduction just for not taking the effort to either edit music correctly or purchase a legitimate copy. I mean why spend so much for choreography, lessons, meet fees, leotards, warm ups, and then not put out that extra $65 for floor music that doesn't make people think the power just went out!

(As you can tell, this is something that really annoys me!)

What are the rules for floor music? I know it has to be certain lengths depending on level, but could I choose any music? I have not heard any music I like with the 'pre packaged ' stuff and I am wondering if I can take plain old Karaoke music and have it trimmed down. I know it cant have voice or words singing, but karaoke music is perfect. Are there copyright issues here?

For dds 1st floor routine the HC had us the music sites she wanted us to use. Then we narrowed it to 3 songs dd liked and her and the coach picked the final choice. Now the choreographer sits with the girls and go through the choices he has then they create the routine. It's exiting :). Happy choosing :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back