Parents Follow-up from "first move-up for little one"...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

amphomma

Proud Parent
I wrote yesterday about my Little A, who is now in an invitation-only class for 4-5 year olds. She turns 4 next week and is very petite for her age. She attended the new class again today, but since we had to switch days because of a scheduling conflict, everyone except the teacher was new all over again for her!

Watching her, I saw her pay attention, follow the class, give her best, and look happy. What more can a parent ask for? I am enthusiastic to hear some feedback from the teachers who worked with her today, because there are definitely some large gaps in strength between my little one and some of the girls who are 5 but nearly 6! The decision to move up was initiated and confirmed by more than one coach, so I will trust that they are still happy with that decision unless I hear otherwise.
o_O

I wouldn't say I'm having second thoughts, but I do want to be careful not to push her too far, too soon. Little A doesn't perceive it negatively at all. She doesn't complain that she can't pull her chin up over the bar like the others, or that her cartwheel still needs some work...she just comes home and practices cartwheels and handstands and talks about next time! She struggles most with handling her exhaustion/hunger after class. It's like as soon as her shoes are back on and we are headed out, a meltdown is not far away. It's a challenge of the age, I suppose, to act and perform skills beyond her years in one hour, and have a tantrum like a toddler in the next hour. I will continue to be the most patient, loving, calm mommy I can be!

I asked her if she enjoyed classes that had more silliness and felt "easier", or classes that seemed more serious and "challenging". She immediately said, "more challenging". I guess if the coaches think she fits in well to this pre- (pre-pre?) team class, and she is happy there and rising to the challenge, then I need to let things progress and let her enjoy it! Anyone else been in a similar situation and have any advice/regrets/encouragement? Thanks for letting me ramble here. It helps tremendously, as our whole family is so very new to all of this!!

As soon as she gets within two feet of you stuff a snack in her mouth.

I absolutely agree! I packed a pb&j for her (and her brother, lest he feel left out) and our plan was to have a "car picnic", even though the gym is less than 10 minutes from our house. We did fine; I buckled her in to her carseat, handed her the sandwich and juice box, and then she got stuck in one of her slightly OCD moments where she insisted on opening/closing doors/buckling in a very specific and difficult manner. I guess I should have gotten the sandwich into her before we even set foot out of the gym. We are living and learning. Thanks for the input!!

Mom my mom still laughs how she stuffed peanut butter fudge in my mouth mid meltdown.

Mom my mom still laughs how she stuffed peanut butter fudge in my mouth mid meltdown.

As a woman with a propensity for getting "mean" when overly hungry, you'd think I would understand the urgency with which Little A *needs something to eat immediately*...this mommy needs to step it up a little! Next week, we will have a "gym picnic" instead of a "car picnic". Thanks, all! I'm also reassured that no one has yet mentioned her actual gymnastics skills, but the meltdown issues...I'd love to see her thrive in this class. She is learning so much, so fast, and getting stronger every time. Picture a 39-inch tall, 28-pound, determined-as-they-come little girl...who loves, talks about, and dreams about gymnastics. All in the same blue leotard. I love her!

I would try a snack with a lot of protein before gym - that might help.

Sounds like she is doing great! I am sure all the strength will come with time, especially if this level is designed to be a 1-2 year thing.

My dd turned 4 3 months ago. We do a snack on the way to the gym (usually cheese and apple slices), but always something with protein. Then I have a small snack waiting after (we go home to have dinner). It is essential. Her class is 2x/week, and by the end of that 2nd class she is just exhausted! It's a lot for a little one.

As for ages and strength, I do believe there is a lot about growth and body development that contributes. If you look at the proportions of a nearly 6yo to the proportions of a nearly 4yo they are not the same. That will effect skills. So don't worry too much. In dd's class I figured out approximate ages of the girls just by watching practices - and was pretty much right about all of them. There is just a ton of growth that goes on between 4 and 6!

As for ages and strength, I do believe there is a lot about growth and body development that contributes. If you look at the proportions of a nearly 6yo to the proportions of a nearly 4yo they are not the same. That will effect skills. So don't worry too much. In dd's class I figured out approximate ages of the girls just by watching practices - and was pretty much right about all of them. There is just a ton of growth that goes on between 4 and 6!

My 6 yr old has 8 yr olds on her team, and even though the 6 yr olds can do the same skills, the 8 yr olds have better body awareness and control. At 4, a year older makes a big difference. She will probably get used to the practice and be fine, though the snack is a good idea. I was really worried about my DD going from one hour once a week to 3 hours twice a week, but within a month, she settled into it,

She sounds determined, focused, adorable & hungry. :)

And you sound well grounded, positive minded & rightfully proud of your daughter.

So you will be well fortified against possible comments from other parents in her group...

Years ago parents in the same preteam class as my DD lamented in the lobby of our old gym about their daughters having to practice with "preschoolers" (meaning my 4 year old).

Just trust the coach's judgement & enjoy!

Be proud of your little gymmie. She sounds like she is off to a great start:) Read the threads here for lots of valuable information. All the BTDT moms here have lots of sage advise that have kept me sane.

I second the suggestion to get the food in her mouth before you even get her to the car. At pickup time, I literally stand there with a thermos of milk in my hand and shove the straw into my 6-year-old's mouth as she comes off the floor. If I don't, she will inevitably have a meltdown.

Yep... Been through this ourselves. Ditto to everyone else. Don't even ask how the class was... Snack and a drink first, before you leave or on the way out the gym. Works wonders! I still only smile at DD and say nothing, ask no questions until she is at least halfway through dinner.

My DD is almost 11... I still stand at the edge of the floor at the end of practice with food in hand to avert the meltdown on the way to the car lol.
A protein snack before gym helps somewhat, as does making sure she is hydrated.
Glad to hear your little one is having fun.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back