form issues

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

beamer

Proud Parent
Hello,

I decided to give up my "lurking" Chalkbucket life and become a member: too many good questions and answers!

Also, I have a pressing one of my own.

I have not seen too many "form" questions addressed directly in posts here, yet this seems to be an issue that many gyms, parents, coaches deal with regularly.

Specifically, do kids who have "form" issues outgrow them? Do some kids develop kinesthetic awareness later than others?

My DD, age 10, has been doing gymnastics off and on since she was 4. She is up-training USAG 6, but will repeat L5 this coming year; even though she did make mobility scores last season (31), she has a long way to go to perform the L5 routines with any sort of competency. This is mostly related to poor form: bent knees, separated legs, lack of hollow body, etc.

While she is strong and tends to pick up new skills quickly, she then performs the skills with the aforementioned form. While many other girls improve radically throughout the competition year, my DD's scores tend to improve a little and then level off (at a pretty low place!).

She does not seem to be aware of her body in the way that many young gymnasts are. She is truly passionate about gymnastics and refuses to try other sports. I see so many benefits from the sport for her and she loves doing it, unrelated to scores at meets. On the other hand, she also loves competition and her confidence has taken a hit from the demoralizing scores!

I am hoping that the repeat year will help in this department, but, truthfully, many of the form issues are still there and I am not sure the scores will be a lot better.

Any thoughts/advice from other parents/coaches/gymnasts would be great!

Hi, my DD also has a few form issues. On every event but bars....go figure!! Lots of bent legs on beam and such!! If it is really just her form I don't know if repeating L5 would help with form issues any more than competing L6 would. Alot of the routines are very similar and if she has all her L6 skills why not compete them? I think if she is doing a BWO on beam, and Back Tuck on floor and has her kip, clear hip and her casting requirments (and flyaway) she should compete L6 if she can do the skills safely. JMO....

form is a work in progress. eventually, it gets better. and they will still have bad days. just look at the olympic level. it's too hard nowadays to have perfect form as todays gymnastics is uber difficult compared to the old days. and in the old days, some of the gymnasts ahead of their time had bad form days also.:)

My dd's form (she's 13 now) has improved dramatically over the years, LOL - when she was a younger gymmie she most definitely was stronger than she was pretty :) - but as time went along (and her coaches kept at her) her technique and form have come a long way - most people now would likely see her compete and think what great form she has (most of the time - as dunno says, they all have their bad days) - when people compliment me on her floor, for example, I usually roll my eyes and say "it wasn't always like that!".

Cheers

My DD is about the same age (she's an almost 11 yr old starting L6). I'm not sure if it works for everyone, but I found that videotaping the meets really helped my DD. She'd ask after a meet what she did wrong and then she wouldn't believe me when I told her (My legs were together on my back extension roll!). Then when she saw it on a recording, it was enlightening. Plus, it was amazing to me all the things she could tell me that she was doing wrong (details I wasn't aware of). She's motivated to score well so it helped even more to say things like "that bent leg was a .3 deduction".

I'm sure the coaches here can answer your question more specifically, but this worked with some DD's form issues. Definitely don't do it at a practice, but try it an open gym or her next meet. Our only problem now is I'm technologically challenged and I mess the recording about 1/2 the time -- doesn't make DD very happy with me!

My daughter is 9 year old L6 and struggles with form have been there for her since the beginning. She has improved greatly this past year and I attritube most of it to her coaches. It's no longer ok to just do the beam routine for example, they are stopped anytime a limb is out of place or doesn't look pretty and it has really forced her to slow down and perform the routines instead of just doing the routines. Her biggest frustration is when she can't move on from something and having coaches who will not let her move on until what they want is done and done well, it's the best motivator for her.

Dunno is right though, with a form challenged kid there are always bad days. Every once in a while it is like her brain just can't get the message to her arms or her toes, but the bad days are becoming fewer and with any luck this MIGHT be the year she finally takes those good habits to a competition.

As for your daughter getting demoralized with scores, my daughter is in that boat as well. She's competed 2 years and never seen a 36. She's only had one 9 on vault and never seen a 9 on floor. I just try to make the meets about her showing what she's improved on and not about the medals and placements and I always try and bring her a little something special so even if she doesn't get a neck full of medals (or even A medal), she has something to cheer her up on the way home. It's amazing how fast they forget if you change the subject ;)

Many gymnasts "outgrow" many of their form issues. For some it is a maturity/body awareness that develops over time, for some it is understanding what tight body and hollow body mean and how to make the muscles cooperate.

My DD was a "sloppy" compulsory gymnast with lots of power and tumbling skills. Now that she's in her third year of optionals, she no longer looks sloppy performing routines, although there is a break- in period for new skills. It amazes me to see her demonstrate the compulsory routines for her teammates- she looks perfect now with her tightness, straight legs, pointed toes- a lot different from when she was competing those routines!

welcome to the CB and glad to see you out of the shadows.

My DD is 14 and still has body awarness issues but its alot better than it use to be.
The gym she is at now is really great for her. All the events have a camera on them and when they do their event in practice there is a computer at each event they can see themselves perform. this has opened my DD's eyes to her form alot!! First coach asks her what she thinks of her routine to see if DD knows where the mistakes and form issues were then they watch the computer and she can see those legs she though were straight were bent and so on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back