WAG Free hip to handstand help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Pea'sMom

Proud Parent
Pea is wondering if there are any coaches who would look at a video of her free hips. She is in a weird position right now and is being shuffled between the L4 and optional training groups (because of flyaway fear.) So she is not getting a lot of feed back on this. She desperately wants to get to handstand and keeps plugging away but has been unable to do it. She tends to be able to make corrections when 'why' is explained to her (logical to a fault!) so I'm hoping someone can give her/me a breakdown of the mechanics/timing of this and what she is missing. Thanks!

If she isn't being spotted or doing drills for it, handstand might not happen at this time, especially if she's not developmentally there yet on bars. The coaches might have a reason for not emphasizing it that isn't 100% about the flyaway. Just a thought.

I would like to help as well. I've actually been doing a lot of research on this skill recently and it would give me a chance to exercise my current knowledge on the topic.

So many chefs.....

I'm not the OP and my DD isn't having difficulty with the free hip handstand skill, but I don't think too many chefs is a bad thing for someone asking for critique...every coach will see something different and will bring a different eye to the skill....the caveat is that there can be too much of a good thing and the OP could walk away with more than she could hope to use.

As the OP I would rather too many chefs, being as I am the equivalent to the McDonalds fry guy in this analogy ;) Pea and I have appreciated the corrections and drills she got and she is exited to try and work on them tonight!

I have no coaching background, just a parent background. My daughter spent all of old level 6 with a positively awful clear hip in meets. Her coach in practice would spot every one, working on shape, timing, shape, timing, shape, timing.

I swore my kid would never clear hip to handstand, but after like 9 months the coach finally took her hand off and boom, clear hip to handstand. There are few skills in gymnastics my daughter does really well, but the clear hip is one of them.

Again not an expert, but the hands on approach seemed to work pretty dang well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back