Front Tuck/ front flip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Depends where you are in my gym the term front flip is never used and front tuck is rarely used we normally call them front saults. In our gym Back flip is a back handspring and back tuck is simply the back tuck i.e. no hands.

I thought 'flip' was a generic, non-technical term used for any kind of somersault or even handsprings. I haven't heard it used much by people in the gymnastics world such as coaches.

In Australia, back flips = back handsprings (to gymnasts and the public). The coaches sometimes say "flics" or "flic flacs", but they mostly say backflips too. I've never ever heard the term "back handspring" said in Australia.
A front flip would be a front handspring from a 2-footed takeoff (have seen it done but it's unusual).
I would never have realised anyone (on CB) talking about flips could have meant tucks/saults/somis (pronounced summies) if it hadn't been for this thread. :D

In Australia, back flips = back handsprings (to gymnasts and the public). The coaches sometimes say "flics" or "flic flacs", but they mostly say backflips too. I've never ever heard the term "back handspring" said in Australia.
In New Zealand a back handspring is called a 'flic-flac' or sometimes just 'flic'.

A front flip would be a front handspring from a 2-footed takeoff (have seen it done but it's unusual).
I think those are called 'flyspring' here.

In New Zealand a back handspring is called a 'flic-flac' or sometimes just 'flic'.

I think those are called 'flyspring' here.

I think it depends what gym and coach like with my old coach back handsprings were back flips but with our new coach we call them flics short for flic flacs

and front handspring with two foot take off is never called front flip, in our gym it is called a flyspring

Here in GB we also call back handsprings back flips or flics. The code of points calls them flic flacs.

The non gymnastics community might refer to a tuck back as a back flip and a tuck front as a front flip - especially boys/men who want to learn them!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back