Front tuck stepouts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

After falling repeatedly on my fhs front layout front tuck, my coach decided to change my flip connection to front tuck step out ro bhs back tuck.

This was supposed to be an easy change/transition, however... this has been very difficult for me! :confused:

I keep putting my head down into my front tuck and stepping out too early and too short.

I'm pretty good at fhs front tucks, and I can get them up higher (i suspect because i land with my chest) but this has been difficult for me.

I have a week to get this down. Does anyone have any tips? :)

well...it's more likely than not that you 'lost' your first pass because you're dropping your head, or in your words "keep putting my head down".

when you front tumble you need to have 'bad technique' or keeping the head out and looking back in lay out fronts.

when you front step out you should be 'spotting' on the horizon meaning out in front somewhere or in the direction of the end of the mat or the floor corner. if you put your head down that is exactly where you'll go. down! and the step out is more like 'running' on to the floor as opposed to stepping out or down.

good luck.:)

Dunno makes some good points as usual, but just to add some ideas to help:

Stand on a platform, a big crash mat will do, tuck jump and step out into your tumble pass. This will help with timing and helping you to feel when and where to step out to.

Even better would be for you to jump backwards onto your coach's shoulder in tuck (they hold your hips) then help you to rotate forwards into the step out. I do this one with my girls a lot.

If you have a pit, put a mat in it so the pit is the same height as the floor and practice into the pit. We have a suspended pit and this drill works wonders in there!

Good luck!

Make a big pile of sideways mats and dive roll step out over them. Remember when your feet land they want to land far apart in the lunge for your round off so chalk on your feet can be useful. Your front tuck should be a little over rotated so you have forwards momentum so try some normal front tucks to over rotate into a dive roll or rebound into a run. Be careful you don't go to far and land on your face though - perhaps have a mat ready!
This seems to be a skill that 'clicks' for many and all of a sudden they understand so I hope it happens for you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back