Fulls?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lately I've been having a lot of issues on fulls. I had them a year ago but when I took a break I lost them. I got my 1/2 twist back really fast but every time I try to do a full I twist WAY too early and either land on my face or do a 1 1/2 to my back. (I get pretty lost)

Right now on tumble track I haven't been making any progress at all in this skill. My coach has been telling me to twist later by it just doesn't work.

I don't desperately need it in level 8, but if I want to compete level 9 eventually I will need this skill.

What to do? :(

It might take some time, but you need figure out how to twist later (probably not what you want to hear)..Lol. Try finding a spot on the wall and look at it for about a second while you set. Twisting later will really help because you will more likely know where you are at in the air. I know how frustrating it is, because I twist way to early on doubles. I know that I need to set up more, but I just can't figure it out. That's probably how you feel, too.. Good luck! :)

Have you ever tried to do halfs. They are a lot easier then fulls and a step in the right direction!! Remember Layout and then twist.
.:floor:

Twisting Progressions are simple.

1) First Get tight layout with good height.

If you think that your layout is good for twisting,

2) Do a Layout & land then do a hop half turn.

If you are good with it. Then,

3) Do the layout & before land do the half twist. Keep in mind that, you need to complete the layout rotation before twist. ( Late twisting)

4) If you are comfortable with that,

Half twist >> Land & Hop half

5) Speed up the layout & do the full. If you do not speed up layout you won't complete the full.

Good Luck!

I have the same problem, we can work on it together :) I try thinking layout first

Work on doing a half after you spot the ground. So layout. spot ground, then half..... then on landing do jump 1/2 turn.
This is a good way to delay the twisting.

If you are over rotating your 3/2 you are very likely throwing your head back and whipping your layout. However this likely means that you are also doing the same on your full. When you whip those layout, and try to do a full you will land short always (hence landing to face)because no set. Its not so much the twisting early as the poor layout, because early twisting will eventually be necessary for more twisting.. So you can do an early full if you set! big, but you can't do a good full with a low whipped layout (when you twist it).

oh my gosh! I have the same problem although I have a double twist and not a full or 1 1/2. Actually when I try to do a full I always do a 1 1/2 to my back and when I try a 1 1/2 I do a double to my face. Tell me when you know a solution to this problem.

catrena, when you learned to twist did you learn a 1/2 then 1/1 or did you go straight to the 1/1? My guess based on what you are saying ^^^ is that you learned the full. Can you set your layout so that is has minimal travel? My guess is that your layouts travel a little bit.. not a great deal but a little bit
Am i correct.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back