GA Xcel Bronze question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tricieworld

Proud Parent
So I am new to Xcel/Prep and I was checking out the "rules" for the Xcel Bronze and have a few concerns. Before I go to DD's coach, I want to ask here to see if I am reading them correctly.

On Bars:
1. One backward Circling (360 degrees) element or VP

2.Cast (hips must leave front support
position) No degree requirement

3.One additional element and/or “Aâ€￾ VP

4.L 1-4 compulsory dismount

My DD's routine is...
Pullover.....front hip circle....cast shoot through...circle.....cast Level 2 dismount. (not sure why L2 dismount....she can do L4)

Is her routine acceptable in the GA guidelines? I don't see a Backward element there.

The routine that makes the most sense for Bronze level bars is typically Pull Over (satisfies #3.), Cast (#2.), Back hip circle (#1.), Cast Push away dismount (#4.).

From my understanding, a pull over is not a circling element, so it would not satisfy requirement #1.

I also feel that most of the time, kids at this skill level are taking more deductions than they are helping themselves with extra elements. They start out of a 10 with the above routine, so why put in extra skills that are just begging for deductions?

Again, just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. You know what they say about opinions. ;)

my dd's bronze routine

I have no clue what the rules or requirements are, but my daughter's bronze routine (whole team does the same one) is:

pull up
cast back hip circle
another back hip circle

don't know the name of the dismount, but you cast to a straddle on top of the bar than swing down under the bar and out for the dismount.

They seem to score well, so I guess it probably meets the requirements here....

i'm not sure why what the coach is having your daughter perform is a "concern".

edit: i'm reading this a 2nd time. i honestly don't understand what you are asking. also, you have "GA Guidelines". i assume you mean Georgia. just an fyi, the guidelines are the same for every state.

lastly, you are using the USAG logo in your name. that's a no no. i recommend that you place something else in its place.

Sorry - I am new here. I didn't realize I couldn't support USAG im my avatar. I will change it.
The FL and GA requirements are different. FL does not have "bronze, silver, etc.". They have "Open" and "Novice".
I was concerned because it doesn't look as if her routine has the requirements that I am reading on the GA USAG Xcel Bronze requirements. I would hate to be paying her $300 to come up with routines that aren't what she needs. That is why I am concerned. Before going to her I wanted to see what the more seasoned parents here had to say about it.

I have no clue what the rules or requirements are, but my daughter's bronze routine (whole team does the same one) is:

pull up
cast back hip circle
another back hip circle

don't know the name of the dismount, but you cast to a straddle on top of the bar than swing down under the bar and out for the dismount.

They seem to score well, so I guess it probably meets the requirements here....

See, your daughter has the backward element in the back hip circle. My daughter has no backward circling element in her routine. That's what I am questioning.

yes, but the requirements are still the same state to state.

you are paying $300 for what? for routines?? for a floor routine??? or monthly tuition in the amount of $300????

please clarify and i'll tell you what you should not be paying for...:)

yes, but the requirements are still the same state to state.

you are paying $300 for what? for routines?? for a floor routine??? or monthly tuition in the amount of $300????

please clarify and i'll tell you what you should not be paying for...:)
They aren't the same for GA and FL. Here is the link to the GA & FL Xcel programs. The skills are a little different from the FL program. Look at the Bronze requirements for Bars and vault and compare the 2.
http://usagfl.org/pdf_forms/XCELPrepOp.chart.pdf FL
http://gausag.org/Xcel%20card%202011-2012.pdf GA
My DD competes in FL next Friday and I am hoping that she doesn't get many deductions for the differences. Her coach said we aren't changing her routine for 1 out of state meet.

The $300 fee is for the Prep/Xcel routines on V, UB, BB, & FX and floor music. On top of the $190/month in tuition that we pay. All the prep gymnasts have to pay it in our gym.

we are saying the same thing. that's why it is not necessary to change anything for 1 meet.

i want to get this straight...you pay $190 per month for gymnastics lessons/tuition...then you pay an additional $300 for a vault, a bar routine, a beam routine and a floor routine?

here's how it works. they learn a vault and a bar routine in the practice session that you already pay tuition for. then they learn the skill sets/elements required to be able to construct a floor and beam routine. it's called choreography where the elements are connected to some kind of dance choreo to connect the dance and gymnastics.

now, athletes usually pay additional for a choreographed beam/floor/both routine. the music is usually included in the fee and can cost more than $300. this is usually when the kids hit level 7 and up.

honestly, if i understand you correctly...you're getting ripped off. so please clarify cause what you are describing may bring our sport to a whole new level of...can't think of a good word at the moment...:)

by the way...if you're paying that amount for a floor and beam routine for the level that she's at, please come by us and 1 of my level 9's can do it for you for 1/2 the price (generous) cause it doesn't take much expertise to choreograph a routine for that level. honestly.

The routine that makes the most sense for Bronze level bars is typically Pull Over (satisfies #3.), Cast (#2.), Back hip circle (#1.), Cast Push away dismount (#4.).

From my understanding, a pull over is not a circling element, so it would not satisfy requirement #1.

I also feel that most of the time, kids at this skill level are taking more deductions than they are helping themselves with extra elements. They start out of a 10 with the above routine, so why put in extra skills that are just begging for deductions?

Again, just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. You know what they say about opinions. ;)

Not sure what it is called, but after she she does a shoot through, she circles all the way around the bar - does that count? Thanks!

pricey

Wow, that's a little pricey. We had to pay for two lessons with the choreographer when the girls first learned their floor routine this fall ($25 each for $50 total). The lessons had one to four kids depending on how many signed up. They did strictly the dance moves and walked through the tumbling part, then the coaches added the tumbling later. Our bronze level all do the same routines on every event, with the exception of floor where they change up just the tumbling passes depending on what skills they are ready for. I think that helped keep the cost down for us.

She learned the vault and bars in class that I pay the tuition for. The $300 was for a 3 hour session to learn the choreography to her floor and beam. The music is included in the $300.
Every gymnast who is in Prep or optionals pays it.

Yes, currently each state has their own Xcel rules and guidelines (some Regions have gotten together to standardize their Xcel rules, I know we have in Region 1). But USAG is currently working on national guidelines that will go into effect with the new compulsory routines in 2013, so then all states will have the same guidelines.

Looking at your states guidelines, your daughter is missing a backward circling element in her routine.

our Bronze level xcel do pull over, cast, back hipcircle then either push away dismount or sole circle dismount. Iam not sure why coach would have her do shoot through & mill circle when she doesn't have to, to me that is asking for chances of deductions.

it does not appear she is meeting the requirements

Wow, that's a little pricey. We had to pay for two lessons with the choreographer when the girls first learned their floor routine this fall ($25 each for $50 total). The lessons had one to four kids depending on how many signed up. They did strictly the dance moves and walked through the tumbling part, then the coaches added the tumbling later. Our bronze level all do the same routines on every event, with the exception of floor where they change up just the tumbling passes depending on what skills they are ready for. I think that helped keep the cost down for us.
Every gymnast in our gym who is in xcel has their own routines. Vault is the one exception. They are all doing the L4 vault.

PS Our choreographer is also a gymnastics coach there but has an extensive dance study background all the way through college. I think this is part of an overall effort to improve the artistry and dance elements at the gym. I thought $50 was pretty reasonable for prep op for the dance lessons, but $300 is getting a little high, especially for bronze level. Both our bronze and gold teams all do basically the same routines (the gold routines are different than the bronze routes).

Yes, currently each state has their own Xcel rules and guidelines (some Regions have gotten together to standardize their Xcel rules, I know we have in Region 1). But USAG is currently working on national guidelines that will go into effect with the new compulsory routines in 2013, so then all states will have the same guidelines.

Looking at your states guidelines, your daughter is missing a backward circling element in her routine.

That's what I thought. So the best way to ask her coach about this is.....? lol - I don't want to offend her, but I don't want my daughter to get deductions either. This coach usually knows what she is doing...that's why I am confused. She had several of her girls win at regionals (region 8) last year on the state team and all stars.

here's the thing...if your daughter can't do a back hip circle, then she can't do a back hip circle. it is what it is. no point in doing it if she will fall. the front mill circle, as wandrewsjr has pointed out, is not a backwards skill and would not fulfill that requirement.

a judge needs to jump on here, or a coach that does this level. it may be possible that a sole circle dismount off the low bar may meet this requirement.

and let me know when you move this way...i'll charge you $10...i mean $200... to choreo a beam and floor for that level.:)

here's the thing...if your daughter can't do a back hip circle, then she can't do a back hip circle. it is what it is. no point in doing it if she will fall. the front mill circle, as wandrewsjr has pointed out, is not a backwards skill and would not fulfill that requirement.

a judge needs to jump on here, or a coach that does this level. it may be possible that a sole circle dismount off the low bar may meet this requirement.

and let me know when you move this way...i'll charge you $10...i mean $200... to choreo a beam and floor for that level.:)

She CAN do a back hip circle. That's why I am confused!

well then, that is what she is probably going to do to fulfill that requirement as it is the easiest/only backward circling skill that there is.

so then, maybe your daughter is not communicating something correctly?

if she is, then PLEASE come up this way and i'll put together a proper bar routine and only charge you $10...i mean $200...:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back