WAG Getting to NATs/NIT from regionals - rant

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

There are four judges at L10 Regionals, high/low scores are tossed. Fly in judges from four separate regions for each regional meet to mitigate against the regional scoring differences. Require judges judging L10 Regionals to be approved by USAG for judging L10 Regionals*. Create a more level playing field, and eliminate these concerns about regional biases, or regions boosting their scores to qualify more girls.

* It shouldn't be that hard to periodically film routines, have an official score them, and compare to score awarded. You only need a statistical sampling to get a good idea of which judges to use.

but my daughter has worked hard enough to achieve a high enough score to go to Nationals, but due to the large number of gymnasts it didn't happen this year.

Going to Nationals has two requirements: getting at least a 34.00 AA score AND placement in the top 7 in your age group of your particular region, so it's not on score alone. Regionals is by score alone...get a 34 and off to Regionals you go...

In my opinion Gymnastics is more of a team sport than an individual, that is what we teach the kids. So being selected to be on the state team for regionals is a big honor in our gym. If you look at College gymnastics team is everything.

Coach P,

That sounds like a new thread. Would you like me to breaks this off and start a new one?

Coach P,

That sounds like a new thread. Would you like me to breaks this off and start a new one?
=
No, I was only responding to Helenz question about regional teams etc.... Kind of a general statement/reply about the essence of gymnastics. :)

My daughter just competed in the level 8 region 5 regionals a few weeks ago and she is in the junior B age group. 19th place all around was a 37.00. The competition was crazy. My daughter did not place top 20 on bars with a 9.475. I thought it was crazy!!

GTCmom of a level 8 gymnast and wife of a coach

Going to Nationals has two requirements: getting at least a 34.00 AA score AND placement in the top 7 in your age group of your particular region, so it's not on score alone. Regionals is by score alone...get a 34 and off to Regionals you go...
Yes, I am aware of that. I am talking about 37 + at regionals. Which seems like it should be high enough for Nationals.

Yes, I am aware of that. I am talking about 37 + at regionals. Which seems like it should be high enough for Nationals.
=
Yes that is what this thread is all about. :) Please send a letter to Shane today expressing your concerns, he needs the emails by tonight. [email protected] Please feel free to suggest any type of solution that you please. Let him know what region and state you are from. (Hi Shane, I am the parent of a level - gymnast from --) Thanks! And thank you to everyone who has send letters.

I think going to Nationals is a huge honor. However, by level 10, regardless of your age division, your goal is college gymnastics. If a kid is a strong gymnast that stands out, she will get recruited.

Our gym has had multiple Nastia qualifiers. The majority of our level 10 team has qualified to Nationals every year. Until this year. We had 0 qualifiers. Injuries have kept most of the girls benched for some of the season, one of the gymnasts who scored 38s throughout the season had a bad sprain, missed a few meets decided to give it a go at Regionals and missed qualifying to JO's. So now do we say it isn't fair that a girl that scored 38s multiple times at BIG meets shouldn't be able to go to Nationals? But she is ok with it. Why? Because her career has made her a stand out. She has a scholarship, as do the other girls on our team, to a D1 school.

If your kid scores 37s regularly, comes from a gym with a good work ethic, she may not go to Nationals but the college coaches know she is out there. Even if CA had their own region, this would still be a problem. There are a lot of girls competing for those spots. Moving CA to region 2 means there are still a portion of kids scoring 37 who won't go. But now none of the "lesser" region's gyms kids will go. 82 girls scored 37+ in region 1 alone. A few of the girls hadn't scored a 37 all season, some have never scored a 37 as an optional. They have the meet of a lifetime at regionals and they go to JOs. Then other girls who have scored 37 multiple times, a few at JO's last year, missed the cut. Just from Region 1! A quick glance at their websites show the majority of the consistent 37+ have committed to a D1 school. I am sure they are disappointed but one meet does not make or break you. Remember, gymnastics is a marathon, not a sprint.

Here are the numbers
Region 2 numbers this year and NIT/NAT qualified.
SrD 5 kids total and 3 kids qualified (all three scored over a 35)
SrC 4 kids total and 4 kids qualified (3 scored over a 35)
SrB 8 kids total and 8 qualified if NIT went out 8 spots, not sure (6 scored over a 35)
SrA 7 kids total 7 kids qualified (6 scored over a 35)

JRD 8 total kids and 6 kids qualified (5 scored over a 35)
JrC 7 kids total and 5 kids qualified (4 scored over a 35)
JrB 3 kids total and 3 kids qualified (2 scored over a 35)
JrA 7 kids total and 7 kids qualified (6 scored over a 35)

Now take Northern California and put them in R2 and this around what it looks like, (the numbers vary a little from year to year so this is 2014)
SrD has a total of 9 kids
SrC has a total of 13 kids
SrB has a total of 12 kids
SrA has a total of 17 kids
JrD has a total of 13 kids
JrC has a total of 11 kids
JrB has a total of 15 kids
JrA has a total of 15 kids

Under 100 level 10's at regionals is still a pretty small regional meet (by far the smallest Level 10 regional meet in the USA). And yes plenty of the "lesser" regions kids as you say, still go to NIT and NAT, as not all of these kids are busting out huge scores. Move Utah over instead of NorCal and it's even smaller.

UPDATE... okay so i spoke with shane today and he received around 150 emails! this is what he said,,, he took them to the meeting and after much debate The Following changes wii take effect in 2016 for level 10 nationals!!!! (2015 is already set in stone so no change next year)
Effective 2016 2 extra age divisions will be added to both jr and sr divisions (4 total divisions added!) so it will be jr, a,b,c,d,e,f and sr, a,b,c,d,e,f . NIT will go bye bye.

level 9 westerns will go to a 16 division format, effective 2015.

UPDATE... okay so i spoke with shane today and he received around 150 emails! this is what he said,,, he took them to the meeting and after much debate The Following changes wii take effect in 2016 for level 10 nationals!!!! (2015 is already set in stone so no change next year)
Effective 2016 2 extra age divisions will be added to both jr and sr divisions (4 total divisions added!) so it will be jr, a,b,c,d,e,f and sr, a,b,c,d,e,f . NIT will go bye bye.

Very nice.

How exactly are the age group divisions determined? I never really put much thought to it. do they just make them by using equal amount if months in each group - for instance every group has an age range of 6 months. Or do they account for the fact that there typically are more/less in certain divisions and those divisions have a smaller age range? I know the divisions are determined each year so I would think they are taking the current group's ages into consideration

coachp, in the future, you must wait until they finalize info like this and not put it out here until it has been published. i have known this since nationals, was part of that meeting, and we were instructed NOT to say anything until it was final. okay?

How exactly are the age group divisions determined? I never really put much thought to it. do they just make them by using equal amount if months in each group - for instance every group has an age range of 6 months. Or do they account for the fact that there typically are more/less in certain divisions and those divisions have a smaller age range? I know the divisions are determined each year so I would think they are taking the current group's ages into consideration

give it a couple more weeks. this is why the gun can't be jumped on some of this stuff. wait on ALL questions a couple more weeks.

coachp, in the future, you must wait until they finalize info like this and not put it out here until it has been published. i have known this since nationals, was part of that meeting, and we were instructed NOT to say anything until it was final. okay?
--
dunno
this info was given out to the public today, i then had a personal conversation to double check. its public.....

give it a couple more weeks. this is why the gun can't be jumped on some of this stuff. wait on ALL questions a couple more weeks.
dunno it was a general question, not specific to any proposed changes. I was curious about previous handling of age groups.

also, shane is a stand up guy, both he and carol have always put the kids first. together they often champion changes to benefit the masses. someone must have given him the okay to release this info, as i cannot imagine he would do it on his own. rest assured that there was no malicious intent on releasing this info, as it sounds like these changes were widely accepted and praised by most. on a personal note, if shane would of told us to keep it quiet, i certainly would not of put the info on cb, where everyone knows me. :) i am excited for the kids who will now have this opportunity. thank you to everyone who voted for it and those who took the time to voice your concerns and submit your ideas. this is a win win for everyone in this sport and my hat is off the powers who made it happen.

also, shane is a stand up guy, both he and carol have always put the kids first. together they often champion changes to benefit the masses. someone must have given him the okay to release this info, as i cannot imagine he would do it on his own. rest assured that there was no malicious intent on releasing this info, as it sounds like these changes were widely accepted and praised by most. on a personal note, if shane would of told us to keep it quiet, i certainly would not of put the info on cb, where everyone knows me. :) i am excited for the kids who will now have this opportunity. thank you to everyone who voted for it and those who took the time to voice your concerns and submit your ideas. this is a win win for everyone in this sport and my hat is off the powers who made it happen.

How is the shoulder? I miss the days when you used to use capital letters. Bwahahahaha!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back