Giants

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hawaii_gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
I have been starting to work giants at gym. I have been doing drills for quite some time now and they arew fine on the strap bar. Yesterday I tried them on the real bar (with double spot) and I just can't get over. My wrists stay under the bar, I can't shift my wrists (same problem with freehips). Any tips on how to get the wrist shift needed?

Ask you coach to create a wrist drill machine. Basically all my gym was take a floor bar (plastic) that broke, and cut it so it was just a cylinder. Basically any cylinder thats skinny and long will work. Tie a rope around it, and attach weights. Stand on a tall mat and put your arms out straight. Roll up the rope, by moving wrist by wrist. Then bring it back down. Sorry if that wasn't clear enough.

Yeah, that's the problem that you hear about with the strap bar...you don't have to shift your wrists. Do you have someone at your gym who can spot you? That lets you do it on the real bar and make it over, but it forces you to shift your wrists, too. Other than that, I would try flipandtwist's drill, we use that at our gym, too. Also, try doing baby giants and flipping your wrists before your hips get to the bar. It's pretty hard (at least for me), but once you get that it's pretty simple to go from the baby giant to the giant. Good luck, and I hope that helps!

Yeah, that's the problem that you hear about with the strap bar...you don't have to shift your wrists. Do you have someone at your gym who can spot you? That lets you do it on the real bar and make it over, but it forces you to shift your wrists, too. Other than that, I would try flipandtwist's drill, we use that at our gym, too. Also, try doing baby giants and flipping your wrists before your hips get to the bar. It's pretty hard (at least for me), but once you get that it's pretty simple to go from the baby giant to the giant. Good luck, and I hope that helps!

yes, lots of baby giants focusing on wrist shifting will help a lot :)

.. and lots and lots of practice!!! My DD has been able to do them on the strap bar for over a year now. It's just been in the last month she has FINALLY been able to do them on the real bar... but once she started doing them she's really taken off... can now do 3 or more in a row. So... it's all the drills and LOTS of practice to get that wrist shift!

Do you have a bounce bar? We have a bar connected to a tramp that allows the girls to bounce to a handstand and then to their backs and then back up to a handstand like the shift on the bar. Does that make sense?

Jules

One common problem when transitioning is that if you learned in the PVC pipe you didn't learn the wrist shift.. Hence using wollen gloves = WAY better.

However, you should do lots of spotted giants and baby giants on real bar for sure. Best solution. However you also need to see if you are squeezing the bar really hard. If you are that can really effect your giant wrist shift, especially if your tap is not bang on.

woolen gloves=wollen gloves. don't want anyone to think they're some other kind of specialized glove that might get lost in the translation.:)

love the glove idea. Going to try doing giants in straps with pvc, then with straps and gloves no pvc, then see if they transfer easier to regular bars!

What types of gloves are we talking about and could the same method be used for stalders in strap?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back