Grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pinklemonadeliz

Proud Parent
My dd is getting ready to aquire her very first pair of grips! She's so excited, but I have no clue what kind to get.

I ran across a brand called Ginnasta & they're supposed to be really great - anyone have any experience with them or suggestions on the best first grips to get for a 10y/o level 5??

Also, are there any accessories (other than wristbands) that she'll need? I've seen some cedar things you stuff into the grips after workout to keep them from getting icky, brushes, etc...

Thanks & Happy Thanksgiving!

- Liz

dd's first pair at 9yrs. was the 10.0 red velcro ones that mimic the reisport. She has been very happy with them. they were fairly easy to break in and have held up really well. About 18mths now. We are just now considering the buckle grips because she needs a new pair (outgrowing them) and iwill be working giants in the spring. the HC recommends the buckles at that point because they are more secure. We will go with the 10.0 501 blues. I have to order them soon so dd can break them in practice before she begins training with them.

I think the first pair I bought were the English Bulldog "kippers" with the single buckle. It was stressed to us to not get the velcro closure.

I've only dealt with reisport's grips. Granted, mine are mens highbar grips, but the quality should be the same.

I've had mine for 2 years now, and going. They take a while to break in, but they are the toughest grips I've EVER seen. They seriously don't have one sign of wear on them, and I use them 3 times a week. They are velcro ones, as well. Highly recomend them.

I've only dealt with reisport's grips. Granted, mine are mens highbar grips, but the quality should be the same.

I've had mine for 2 years now, and going. They take a while to break in, but they are the toughest grips I've EVER seen. They seriously don't have one sign of wear on them, and I use them 3 times a week. They are velcro ones, as well. Highly recomend them.

:)^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks everyone! I see some say buckle, some say velcro.... what is the difference in performance?? And would it be reasonable to start at velcro & move to buckles onces she's training giants?? (right now, they're only doing giants on the strap bar so no grips necessary)

velcro the grip of them do wear out and for my DD when she started doing L6 and up skills the velcro tended to let go. One of her team mates at L7 has velcro and has to tape them so they don't come undone. As soon as we realized the velcro just didn't hold for my DD we went to the grips with the double buckles and they hold very well - my dd wont use any thing but double buckles anymore

I'd have to disagree with the above. My first pair of grips were velcro and I've had them for 2 years and they're still working fine. If someones velcro grips arn't working like they should, they probably aren't taking care of them properly or they weren't terribly good quality in the first place. Velcro grips aren't as bad as a lot of people make them out to be. They are faster to put on than buckle grips, and have a bit more flexability. At higher levels (starting release moves) buckle grips are better because they have more support.

So to answer your question of buckle vs velcro, I'd say it doesn't matter TOO much either way. at 10y/o, she'll outgrow them before they wear out, anyway. Because of this, and the fact that velcro grips are more comfortable (slightly less support), and quicker to get on, I'd go with velcro. when she outgrows those, (probably within 2 years), I'd move on up to the buckles for more support for the advanced moves.

But like I said, at that age it boils down to preference.

Daughters coach wanted buckles because he said all the girls are constantly doing/undoing the velcro and he hated the sound it made. Also as mentioned they will wind up in buckles anyway so go ahead and get them used to buckles.

I'd have to disagree with the above. My first pair of grips were velcro and I've had them for 2 years and they're still working fine. If someones velcro grips arn't working like they should, they probably aren't taking care of them properly or they weren't terribly good quality in the first place. Velcro grips aren't as bad as a lot of people make them out to be. They are faster to put on than buckle grips, and have a bit more flexability. At higher levels (starting release moves) buckle grips are better because they have more support.

So to answer your question of buckle vs velcro, I'd say it doesn't matter TOO much either way. at 10y/o, she'll outgrow them before they wear out, anyway. Because of this, and the fact that velcro grips are more comfortable (slightly less support), and quicker to get on, I'd go with velcro. when she outgrows those, (probably within 2 years), I'd move on up to the buckles for more support for the advanced moves.

But like I said, at that age it boils down to preference.

you can disagree I just stated my DD's experience with them and feel that if you are going to end up in buckles anyway you might as well start in them they aren't any more expensive. They were of good quality and she did take very good care of them. In general Velcro does loose its grip with time and excessive use on any item that velcro is on. As far as outgrowing them before they wear out I guess that depends on how often they are used. My DD has been doing 4 - 5 days a week since L5 and that first year with them by the end of that year they just didn't hold any more. she didn't out grow them but I though it was unsafe and got her the buckles. She has had them now for 3 years and they are still in great shape and still holding. She wants new ones not because they don't fit but because the old ones look old after 3 years of use. Maybe Santa will get her some this year ;)

Now my son who did gymnastics too had velcro ones for high bar and rings and they held up just fine for 3 years before they started not to hold. When he got new ones he went to buckles as well. I think that maybe the moves and events the boys do are different enough that they wear differently than the girls grips.

I know we have at least 3 girls on our team with velcro grips that are high quality and they do take care of them but the velcro has let go on them during practice and at least once during competition and they only got them at the begining of last season so they now tape them. They are expensive so the parents wanted them to outgrow them to get the buckle ones but I think they are going to get them for thier girls for christmas.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back