Hair Tips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My 8YO has wavy, not extra thick hair. Regardless of my endless attempts, her hair is, well, a mess when I pick her up from PracMy 8YO has wavy, not extra thick hair. Regardless of my endless attempts, her hair is, well, a mess when I pick her up from Practice. It’s not a big deal of course but was just wondering if any of you may have useful tips..

I bought my dd some of those Under Amour hand bands to keep her hair off her face and then she puts it back in a ponytail. I've noticed that the Under Amour brand is the only one that actually stays in her hair the entire 4 hour practice. Hope this helps.

Hairspray. Lots of hairspray.
I also always use a small elastic hair tie and then put a normal one on top of it. It makes my ponytail stay tight and in place the whole practice!

What Erin said...Hairspray. My dd has very fine hair and lots of little "baby hairs" and I have to use hairspray when I put it up in a ponytail to keep all the flyaways in place.

My daughter has the same problem. Braids are always a fun option if you have time. If not hairspray, barrettes, bobby pins and a few pony tails. I don't know of many girls that don't look like a complete mess at the end of practice. All that matters is if it is nice and neat at meets.

I bought my dd some of those Under Amour hand bands to keep her hair off her face and then she puts it back in a ponytail. I've noticed that the Under Amour brand is the only one that actually stays in her hair the entire 4 hour practice. Hope this helps.

Those headbands are the best! All other headbands go flying off my head when I tumble, but the under armour ones don't budge.

I had a headband problem, they'd always come out, and I've lost so many in our foam pit. So, about a year ago, I decided to design my own. I have eight of them, three black, a white, hot pink, turquoise, and lime green. They stay in for the entire practice and I love them.

Plaits, or a single low plait at the back work well for my DD's hair. I gel it for competition, but don't bother for practice. I don't mind it getting a bit messy-looking at training as long as it isn't getting in her way.

Yay hair talk! :) What usually works for my little ones:
1) Get it wet. Putting it into a tight ponytail or braids wet, then use a little gel or hairspray, and it stays much better.
2) Double band. We usually use two of the ouchless hair bands, then put a scrunchie over those.
3) Put the front up, and braid the rest. Just putting the front up keeps the fly-aways down to a minimum.
4) A lot of girls use the stretchy headbands, and then have the rest in a pony-tail or braid. I haven't used these before, but might try one today and see if it works for her.

My daughter has lots of hair, but it's baby fine. It goes to her mid-back. Immediately after being brushed, it looks gorgeous. Five minutes after being brushed, it's nappy. We're considering getting it bobbed. Are we going to regret that cut come comp season?

Probably not - I'd just make sure it's either short enough that none of it gets in her eyes/face or that you can pull the front part completely back in two half pigtails.

But if you don't want to cut it, put it in a ponytail with an elastic (use a kind like this - w/ the rubber grip tread if you can find that kind is best - do NOT use the thin elastics or the cloth bands, they won't hold). Braid it and secure with an elastic at the bottom (this can be a thin elastic). Then either wrap the braid around and secure with a third good elastic, or loop it and use the third elastic. You can put a scrunchie over that. Then get some snap clips (the kind like this, but there are other brands in drugstores, just get that style). Weave them in the hair and gather the flyaway strands in and snap them shut.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back