Handspring Full Drills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

slkbeambabe07

Another question for all ya'll. Handspring full drills for vaulting? We have our girls block off the wall then twist into a resi, landing on their stomach, but we need MORE! Any suggestions would help!

I can't see a reason to do handspring fulls but that just be because I've never trained them much. I teach the girls to twist out of a handspring on vault if they can't tsuk or flip some other vault. I'm not saying there isn't a reason to work them, I'm just not really sure what that reason would be. It seems to make the gymnast kill their rotation so they can twist instead of flip.

I can't see a reason to do handspring fulls but that just be because I've never trained them much. I teach the girls to twist out of a handspring on vault if they can't tsuk or flip some other vault. I'm not saying there isn't a reason to work them, I'm just not really sure what that reason would be. It seems to make the gymnast kill their rotation so they can twist instead of flip.

We twist because we do not have a pit at our gym. If girls are lucky enough to go to camp witha pit, and learn them in a week, we then do tsuks. Fulls are also (i think) only one tenth lower in SV compared to tuck tsuk.

We twist because we do not have a pit at our gym. If girls are lucky enough to go to camp witha pit, and learn them in a week, we then do tsuks. Fulls are also (i think) only one tenth lower in SV compared to tuck tsuk.

If your gymnasts have more than a year left in the sport I would recommend taking them to another gym to train flipping vaults 1-2 times a week.

what do you have against fulls? They are only one tenth lower in SV.

what do you have against fulls? They are only one tenth lower in SV.

FIG values:
1.02 Hsp – 1/1 3.20
3.10 Tsuk – Back Tuck 4.00
2.10 HS – Front Tuck 4.40

That's 8 tenths difference between the tsuk and the full and 1.2 between the full and the front/front.

JO Level 8
1.201 Handspring – 1/1 twist 9.5
3.201 Tsukahara Tuck 9.8
3.303 Tsukahara Pike 10.0

JO Level 9
1.201 Hsp - 1/1 9.0
3.201 Tsukahara Tuck 9.6
3.303 Tsuk Pike 9.7
1.301 Hsp - 2/1 9.9
3.304 Tsuk layout 10.0
2.301 Hsp - Front Tuck 10.0

JO Level 10

1.201 Hsp - 1/1 8.8
3.201 Tsukahara Tuck 9.4
1.301 Hsp - 2/1 9.7
2.301 Hsp - Front Tuck 9.7
3.303 Tsuk Pike 9.5
3.304 Tsuk layout 9.7

I'm not saying twisting is a bad thing to work. I just tend not to work it.
We don't have a pit vault but I have taken the girls to a near by gym at times to work vault. I do have the option of stacking mats and making a pit vault as well and I do this often now.
For tsuk training without a pit I used a lot of mats stacked behind the table and would bump the first part of the preflight to get the kids used to the entry as they tried to miss their feet and land on their backs on the mat stack.
Once the could do this without the bump on the preflight. I moved to the back half and would catch the flipping part. I know there are a lot of different ways to do this but this is what works for me.

A front full drill would also work onto the mat stack behind the table. I just think it's really hard to control the rotation of a strong vaulter enough for them to twist and not land on their faces. I'd have them practice the full to a flat back onto the mats to try to controll their power.

Good Luck !!!

yeesh... give em a break. Twisting is fine, if that's what their gym supports and can train safely.

If you can stack mats up to about 1 foot higher than the table, do handspring to handstand flat-backs. It will teach rise over rotation. You will not immediately get 1 foot clearance, build up to it. (you can probably get away with less, but 1 foot makes for pretty flight + twist).

If you ever choose to continue their training towards more difficult vaults, this transitions nicely into handspring fronts - but I encourage a pit, and someone who is comfortable training the vault before playing with it.

Best wishes to you, and good luck.

Ryan

The Handspring Full Twist is a nice progression for teaching gymnast's how to create height off the table when blocking. To 'kill their rotation' the gymnast will learn to create more elevation from the blocking phase of the front handspring. This elevation is critical to understanding how to generate vertical rise off the table. Eventually, the gymnast can utilise this vertical trajectory in obtaining more advanced vaults for future progression.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back