Hardest and Easiest Skills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What skills were the hardest for you to learn? My giant took me 8 months to learn and I still don't always make it between the bars after a year. I got my backhandspring on beam in only 2 months but even though I almost never fall on it I'm scared of it on high for some reason. (I'll go for it, but I've never gotten comfortable doing it). My kip took me 6 months to get and was really frusterating - one day I would have it perfectly and the next I couldn't make it at all. And I spent all of level 6 going way crooked on my bwo and falling on my beam dismount - I haven't tried those again since lvl 6 states! :)

And which skills were the easiest? My cartwheel on beam was simple. We worked on it on low all summer and it was so easy and then one day my coach was like "Does anyone want to try it on high?" and for some reason she was shocked when I did it. And my ro-bhs-bt and fhs-ft came so naturally!

Hardest: Anything on beam.

Easiest: Anything on bars.

Ambivalent: Vault. Got my tsuk fairly easily, was nearly ready for hard surface, then stopped working on them due to comp season. Now I've developed a mental block and won't do them. =(

Hardest: flyaway. I don't get the whole "when to let go" thing so either I let go super early and land on my face (in the pit) or don't let go at all and just keep swinging. I think I'm scared. But I'm less scared than I used to be (I have a broken foot so no dismounts for me). I can do them on the low bar with a spot and sometimes without, and I think I'm almost ready to start working on high bar with a spot when my foot heals.

Easiest: Do squat-ons count? No, I don't think so cause they are SUPER easy unless you're scared of them...so...BWO on beam cause even if I don't make it I always know what I did wrong and what to do next time. You just gotta "feel the skill", which I'm kinda not so good at. Or front tuck/pike dismount from beam. Or punch front tuck/pike on floor.

Hardest: Back handsprings on the beam :( I've been at them for 6 months now and I still don't have the guts to get off the low beam, even though i've done them on the medium beams just fine.

Easiest: Giants! I just asked to try them one day in level 6 and its been smooth sailing since! I just went for them with no spot one day and I've been fine from then on. It's probably because i learned them on the high bar with out a pit and i never had to adjust.

Easiest: either bhs on tramp or full on floor.. i got them both in a day! and i got my bhs before i had even started gym! :) bhs on beam was also pretty easy for me.. i got it in a week! all i had to do was go for it!! :)

Hardest: flyaway or giant.. i lost them both and then got them back. but i'm still working on making my giants over.. basically anything on bars is hard for me :)

Last edited by a moderator:
hardest- bhs and squat on on bars- i still havent got them :(
easiest- free cartwheel- possibly my fav move it only took me a couple of trys

Hardest: Level 7 bars!
Easiest: Aerials, backwalkovers on beam, and pretty much anything on the floor.
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE TRYING TO GET THERE HARDEST THINGS!! :)

hardest- bhs and squat on on bars- i still havent got them :(
easiest- free cartwheel- possibly my fav move it only took me a couple of trys
i agree that bhs and SQUAT ON! but i got them now i did thos when i was five..
uhhhh easyestt.. lets see here bwo bhs bt dissmount on beam

Hardest: Baby Giant, FHS Vault, Front Tumbling
Easiest: Roundoff BHS, Roundoff on Beam, Roundoff Vault (I LOVE ROUNDOFFS! I CAN BLOCK SO MUCH BETTER OFF THE SIDE THAN FRONT), Aerials

Easiest: Tsuke/Vaulting, Front-handspring front layout, and back handspring on beam

Hardest: Bars!!/Giants on the set/Kip Cast Handstand, Twisting at the right time for back tumbling

Hardest:Cast handstand it took me almost a whole year to get it!!!! Front handspring lay with staright legs.

Easiest:Back tumbling, front tuck front tuck, double back flyaways,giants, ariel, I got my bwo on high beam in one day and then tried bwo bwo the day after, ummmm yuchancos were easy for me untill I crashed and have been scared of them since.

on beam i had a switch side, sheep jump series that i never ever felt comfortable doing, no matter how hard i tried.

yurchenkos came pretty easy. my front tumbling passes were a lot easier than my back tumbling passes.

the two hardest skills that i got, that weren't necessarily hardest for me to learn were my full in-full out and my double arabian full.

hardest right now: kip!! (still don't have it)
easiest: squat on...I'm an adult gymnast and I never did gymnastics as a kid and for some reason this skill only took me two days to learn! I did a couple drills with my coach and built some mats up underneath the bars and then the second day one of the girls compulsory coaches at my gym who had been giving me drills to do told me I could do the real thing. I believed him and I tried it and got it!! I did get a small mental block about them a couple weeks after learning them, but my coach told me one day after I finally went for one again that I had to do 5 more that day. So I did and I've been fine ever since :]

Hardest: front mid penché-attitude-attitude with back hold-hight peché turn, the godunko leap, back walkover
Easiest: attitude with back hold turn, front high peché balance skill

Hardest: Anything on bars. I have these darn long legs and not enough stomach muscle. So I almost have my kip on high bar but I don't have my glide swing so it's a no go for a glide kip. And squat ons I can do fine with mats under the bar but I just won't go for them without the mats. I'm afraid I'll go right over.
Back Walkover on beam. I just can't get my arms to come together! Round-off BHS Back Tuck (I have them fine, it's a fear issue)

Easiest: Round-off Double BHS. (This was easy to add the 2nd BHS after I got the first) Back walkover on floor. Oversplit (for me this is really easy) Front handspring.

hardest: twisting in front and back tumbling, and switch leap on beam

easiest: flyaway on bars, splits, leaps, etc.

Hardest: Giants. they scared me almost to death and it literally took me 6 yrs to learn giants, from 10 to 16. then of course I got hurt and was out for about 9 months, came back and had to relearn them, but had the will power that time and got'em back no problem.
Easiest: anything on beam, and a front handspring front tuck vault- got it in one practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back