Parents Has the whole world gone mad?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

@Gymcoach93821 way too many awful coaches out there who totally take advantage of the situation. It takes more than over zealous parents to create a burned out child. In the 10+ years of running this place I have lost count of the number of "super talented" kids who have come and gone due to crazy coaches allowing ridiculous hours and privates in addition.

To say it doesn't happen is really disingenuous.
I never said it doesn’t happen. All I’m saying is if it’s to such a high degree that everyone’s making it out to be then there’d be way more children dropping out of the gyms program which they would notice and then reassess their problems. For gyms that don’t either are negligent and not aware of the drop out rate. You make it out to seem like it’s worse thing ever and happening all the time.

I have to disagree with you too. I think your attitude is extremely naive. When you have been around as a parent and coach as long as I have I can tell you unequivocally that there are many many reasons why coaches push young children into high hours, some well meaning and some self serving. There is an endless stream of hopefuls to replace the burn outs. Throwing high hours at young talented children will get you so far. Their success impresses. Other people buy in to the dream. The stream continues. Very few might get to senior at top level but no one really notices. There are endless excuses to why (usually blaming the child). And I actually think it is negligence to provide/ allow children to do something which might harm them down the line. It is an interesting debate and savvy coaches are learning more and more how to handle such things. Gymnastics needs big hours, but when to start that and how to structure it is the issue to solve.
It’s not being naive. My children are at a gym with higher hours but coaches overseeing the children’s well-being too. The endless stream of hopefuls haven’t been with the coaches which have children they have been coaching for years. If a child they have been coaching for years drops out their attention goes onto why. Not let’s just get another kid in. I guess we are just lucky that we don’t have to be apart of what you describe and in my opinion that’s another gyms and parents problem. If parents and gyms can work together to provide a great environment for the child both social gym and school. Then either the parents problem or the gyms and communication isn’t happening. But I don’t see how everyone has to stick their noses in other peoples problems. Unless it’s a massive neglect and someone reaching out for help. Which this post has never been about then we help. But the start of this post was just a winge about children they don’t even no who are young and train long hours. You don’t know each families situation and to debate about it is just weird. I mean it’s happening. It’s not a negative or a positive in some places so why don’t we just focus on our own gyms and communication with them about the problems our kid is having i

So... Just curios about this. So has there been a study to say what the proper amount of hours per age is appropriate? Ive never seen one? I think it is the responsibility of the parents and the coaches to know if their program is successful or not. And as i posted earlier in this post a lot of the parents of very young gymnast haven't quite learned the ins and outs of the sport and probably will learn the hard way. More hours don't mean better outcome.

I never said it doesn’t happen. All I’m saying is if it’s to such a high degree that everyone’s making it out to be then there’d be way more children dropping out of the gyms program which they would notice and then reassess their problems. For gyms that don’t either are negligent and not aware of the drop out rate. You make it out to seem like it’s worse thing ever and happening all the time.

Worst thing ever? Nope. That would be childhood cancer, or the death of a child. But happens all the time, yep.

Coaches taking advantage and over training children? Offering privates when kids simply do not need them? Yes, I think lots of coaches would agree that this happens way too often.

Of course there are some incredible coaches out there, who nurture, and cherish, children's development and health. But at this point I am not prepared to believe that enough coaches, especially in the USA where there is no mandatory coach training, are completely able to be impartial when it comes to over training kids. It is so easy to be caught up in the "race to elite", dragging a kid and their family after you writing cheques like crazy people.

Drop out rates in competitive gymnastics are very high, the numbers of under 11's in the sport are massively higher than the 12+ crowd.

Gyms have cultures, you see them. Super high hours, weekly privates for team girls, "special" training groups for select girls, required in gym homeschooling programs. These are the places that are waving their red flag high. Trouble is they produce good results, so parents get sucked in with their very young children. Maybe 40 girls start at L3, but maybe 7 are left by L7. That is serious attrition through over work.

No, I am not imagining this. Like I said, after 10+ years here I have seen, and heard, the most crazy things happening in the name of "a talented child".

So... Just curios about this. So has there been a study to say what the proper amount of hours per age is appropriate? Ive never seen one? I think it is the responsibility of the parents and the coaches to know if their program is successful or not. And as i posted earlier in this post a lot of the parents of very young gymnast haven't quite learned the ins and outs of the sport and probably will learn the hard way. More hours don't mean better outcome.

Well a kid training the hours of a full time job cannot be okay in anyone's eyes.

Just for the record, I was not "wingeing" when I started this post @Gymcoach93821 just making observations. I honestly don't really care about any of those people at the end of the day, it was more of a reflection of the "race to whatever" people are looking for and the competitiveness of the parents on that page. But it seems like this is striking a nerve with you for some reason…

I have never seen an overall study. One hundred percent responsibility of individual parent and coach. If they have to learn the hard way then they do. Theirs no guide book to parenting.
Just for the record, I was not "wingeing" when I started this post @Gymcoach93821 just making observations. I honestly don't really care about any of those people at the end of the day, it was more of a reflection of the "race to whatever" people are looking for and the competitiveness of the parents on that page. But it seems like this is striking a nerve with you for some reason…
its striking a nerve because I don’t like parents who put their nose in other peoples business. Focus on your own child and what kind of training you want for your own kid. Don’t worry about other peoples children who haven’t asked for advice. I think a lot of parents compare other children in gymnastics and that annoys me because it’s none of your business. Unless it affects you and your child in any way why don’t we just focus on what we want for our own child instead of trying to tell other families what they are doing wrong or right with their kids

I have never seen an overall study. One hundred percent responsibility of individual parent and coach. If they have to learn the hard way then they do. Theirs no guide book to parenting.

its striking a nerve because I don’t like parents who put their nose in other peoples business. Focus on your own child and what kind of training you want for your own kid. Don’t worry about other peoples children who haven’t asked for advice. I think a lot of parents compare other children in gymnastics and that annoys me because it’s none of your business. Unless it affects you and your child in any way why don’t we just focus on what we want for our own child instead of trying to tell other families what they are doing wrong or right with their kids

I think the overtraining and abusive practices are affecting all of us. and honestly, most of the parents are asking for advice but do not want to hear anything different than what they think....

I think the overtraining and abusive practices are affecting all of us. and honestly, most of the parents are asking for advice but do not want to hear anything different than what they think....
I have not seen a post about a parent asking for advice on this thread about it. Only just statements about how horrible it is. Or parents of children who do long hours not complaining about it. I mean there’s no one on here or started asking for advice. That’s what I’m irked about. If someone wanted advice fair call. But one person has literally just put her nose into a conversation about other families for no reason purely just to state what she thinks about something that’s not happening to her child. Like look after your own family.[/QUOTE]

Um, you really don't know me at all. I do focus on my own child, who has been successful despite not having crazy hours, and I certainly don't compare her to other kids, their training, etc. Was just reflecting on the huge numbers of parents who actually ARE asking advice for things such as: "should I drive 2 hours each way so my 6 y.o. can do TOPS", "should I start home schooling my 7 y.o. so they can do 25+ hours a week", etc. So yes many parents do ask for advice. I don't give any because it is none of my business. If you noticed in my post I said I am not judging, so don't insinuate that I am trying to tell people what to do. I was just taken aback by how common some of these practices are becoming.

Um, you really don't know me at all. I do focus on my own child, who has been successful despite not having crazy hours, and I certainly don't compare her to other kids, their training, etc. Was just reflecting on the huge numbers of parents who actually ARE asking advice for things such as: "should I drive 2 hours each way so my 6 y.o. can do TOPS", "should I start home schooling my 7 y.o. so they can do 25+ hours a week", etc. So yes many parents do ask for advice. I don't give any because it is none of my business. If you noticed in my post I said I am not judging, so don't insinuate that I am trying to tell people what to do. I was just taken aback by how common some of these practices are becoming.
Then reply to those parents who are starting threads to ask opinions. Don’t start your own thread for your own reason about things your just stating about things that aren’t happening to your child. Unless your asking for advice. Then response to those asking for advice instead of creating from nothing your own pointless thread

I have not seen a post about a parent asking for advice on this thread about it. Only just statements about how horrible it is. Or parents of children who do long hours not complaining about it. I mean there’s no one on here or started asking for advice. That’s what I’m irked about. If someone wanted advice fair call. But one person has literally just put her nose into a conversation about other families for no reason purely just to state what she thinks about something that’s not happening to her child. Like look after your own family.
[/QUOTE]

Not on this thread. But people ask for advice like this all. the. time. You are new here, so maybe have not seen it very often, but it is common. We share knowledge And for many of us, the knowledge that we have gained is that you do not need those kind of hours..in fact, they can be harmful.

This thread is an opinion thread, which is legal!! Everyone has one.....and is allowed to voice it. It is not directed at any oneperson (or wasn't....) but was more a general statement. this is not pointless, but is conversation, and maybe a parent reading this will learn something. Maybe not. But sharing of information and opinions is allowed. Even opinions that may or may not be popular.

Then reply to those parents who are starting threads to ask opinions. Don’t start your own thread for your own reason about things your just stating about things that aren’t happening to your child. Unless your asking for advice. Then response to those asking for advice instead of creating from nothing your own pointless thread

Gymcoach93821....you could choose not to respond to a "pointless thread"....there are a lot of other threads on CB that might not get your dander up....

I

Not on this thread. But people ask for advice like this all. the. time. You are new here, so maybe have not seen it very often, but it is common. We share knowledge And for many of us, the knowledge that we have gained is that you do not need those kind of hours..in fact, they can be harmful.

This thread is an opinion thread, which is legal!! Everyone has one.....and is allowed to voice it. It is not directed at any oneperson (or wasn't....) but was more a general statement. this is not pointless, but is conversation, and maybe a parent reading this will learn something. Maybe not. But sharing of information and opinions is allowed. Even opinions that may or may not be popular.[/QUOTE]
didn’t say it’s not allowed I just don’t see why you don’t respond to the other peoples thread who are genuinely asking for opinions.

I

This thread is an opinion thread, which is legal!! Everyone has one.....and is allowed to voice it. It is not directed at any oneperson (or wasn't....) but was more a general statement. this is not pointless, but is conversation, and maybe a parent reading this will learn something. Maybe not. But sharing of information and opinions is allowed. Even opinions that may or may not be popular.
didn’t say it’s not allowed I just don’t see why you don’t respond to the other peoples thread who are genuinely asking for opinions.[/QUOTE]

I do! All the time. But there is nothing wrong with a general discussion about this. Then when people search this, with questions, maybe they will read this and rethink how many hours a kiddo needs. Maybe not....it is theirs to do with what they like.

Gymcoach93821....you could choose not to respond to a "pointless thread"....there are a lot of other threads on CB that might not get your dander up....
It’s true I just can’t stand parents who stick their noses in peoples business. It’s so rude and is why society is becoming so negative. In the past people would learn from their mistakes and go through life without the whole world telling them what to do and not to do.

This is the last I'm going to reply to you about this. I can start a discussion thread about what I want; if it is deemed inappropriate the administrator will let me know. There seem to have been plenty of people who wanted to discuss it, so if it's something you think is pointless, just leave the conversation.

It’s true I just can’t stand parents who stick their noses in peoples business. It’s so rude and is why society is becoming so negative. In the past people would learn from their mistakes and go through life without the whole world telling them what to do and not to do.

No one stuck their nose in anyone's business. It was a generic question!!! It isn't rude. People were just discussing how it isn't necessary.....negative came later.....

No one stuck their nose in anyone's business. It was a generic question!!! It isn't rude. People were just discussing how it isn't necessary.....negative came later
No one stuck their nose in anyone's business. It was a generic question!!! It isn't rude. People were just discussing how it isn't necessary.....negative came later.....
‍just pointless. Seriously. Worry about your own family. If someone wants help sure. But my goodness this is why society is sucking more and more.

This is the last I'm going to reply to you about this. I can start a discussion thread about what I want; if it is deemed inappropriate the administrator will let me know. There seem to have been plenty of people who wanted to discuss it, so if it's something you think is pointless, just leave the conversation.
Your the type of person that would hear sirens going off near their place and then have to find out why. And have some sort of opinion you feel the need to share to the world about.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back