Head position, etc on Tkatchev

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
I started playing around with some drills for Tkachevs on a bounce bar today, and found them to be much easier, much less scary, and much more fun than I expected.

I've noticed that I always catch a brief glance of the bar right as I release, which suggests my head is coming back as I snap open for the release.

Is this position, with the head back on release, correct? Or should the head be forward?

Also, am I correct in assuming that if I am traveling too far and not counterrotating enough, the solution is to tap and release earlier?

I started playing around with some drills for Tkachevs on a bounce bar today, and found them to be much easier, much less scary, and much more fun than I expected.

I've noticed that I always catch a brief glance of the bar right as I release, which suggests my head is coming back as I snap open for the release.

Is this position, with the head back on release, correct? NO Or should the head be forward? NEUTRAL TO FORWARD

Also, am I correct in assuming that if I am traveling too far and not counterrotating enough, the solution is to tap and release earlier YES. TAP, OPEN AND FLEX, THEN THROW.

What's the reasoning behind the head being forward? Wouldn't the head being back allow the chest and shoulders to open more on the release?

average head weighs 6 pounds. a tkatchev must counter rotate to do what it does.

if the head is back on the front swing it causes your center of gravity to rotate backwards and downwards. this is the complete opposite of what must take place.

next, if the head is below the shoulder girdle you can not fully flex your shoulders to an open position. the head being back and causing an arch in the neck will counter the counter rotation so to speak.

finally, the head should be neutral with the 'eyes' looking forward. the front part of the giant swing is traveling forward. you must look forward. when the body opens in that front swing, and then you violently and rigorously flex the shoulders open, you must be looking forward because that is the direction you are traveling. hence, a counter rotating 1/4 front somi over the bar.

hope i have explained.

I love reading this kind of information. Makes watching gymnastics so much more active to me. Really, really interesting. Thanks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back