WAG "Head Whipping?" (advice needed)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rockyrose

Gymnast
Hello! I am currently a rec gymnast (working lvl 4/5 skills). I feel the main reason why I am not progressing as quickly as I'd like is because I constantly whip my head back. It wasn't a big deal when I was younger, but now that I'm a little taller it's holding me back. The thing is, no matter where I look, my head whips back. I've tried spotting things on the wall (both high & low), looking at my shirt, and even closing my eyes. It's especially holding me back from tucks and has started to affect my beam skills. (except the head goes outwards instead of looking straight on?) Do any gymnasts/coaches have any tips on how to break this bad habit?

Thanks a bunch!

Try putting your shirt/leo in your teeth before you go. Also, a bean bag or piece of foam under your chin can be a big help. Be sure you are being spotted at first, as it can change things once you start keeping your head more neutral. Hope it helps, and don't give up.

My coaches would always have me put a bean bag under my chin, if I dropped it, that meant I whipped my head back

Sent from my iPod touch using ChalkBucket mobile app :)

go to a drugstore and have your mom or dad pick you up a cervical neck collar. it's soft foam with a cover. wear it and watch what happens. :)

go to a drugstore and have your mom or dad pick you up a cervical neck collar. it's soft foam with a cover. wear it and watch what happens. :)

This is my daughter's coaches do as well. It works for kids who whip their heads out while learning the fly-away too. Always gets a reaction out of the peanut gallery though, lol......there is always a parent who has never seen this and thinks that a coach is allowing a seriously injured gymnast to train.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back