Coaches Help getting Pullover

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

littlekateskate

I am looking for ideas of "fun" things I can get my daughter doing at home to help her get her pullover.

She goes to the gym twice a week has everything she needs to move on to the next level except her pullover. She really wants to be on the team (she is only 5) but cant get her pullover.

Neither night she is at the gym can her rec classes get on bars because of the team girls. I finally had to set up private lessons to get her some bar time.

I am looking for ideas to help her get past this little milestone! :)

Does she need a full pullover (chin up, lever action with legs together) or is it a kickover on a chest height bar? Generally, for kickovers, I find if they can't hold chin above the bars, legs bent 90 degrees for at least 5 (hopefully more). For pullover, add inverted hang + hold independently for several seconds. The second exercise, at home I guess she could practice roll up to candlestick holding a stick, pull arms forward to thighs at the top. Also, lay on the floor in front of a wall with hips at an angle (bottom towards the wall), walk feet up wall until the body is one tight straight line (not arched), try to hold (arms flat on the floor by ears, could be pulled up to thighs...I prefer by ears).

I don't usually specifically use those exercises for class kids and pullover as I have always been able to work on a bar with them...but I would guess they can't hurt.

Lots of pullups, lot of leg lifts. Leg lifts are easy to do at home. If no pullup bar at home, setup horizontal body rows with 2 chairs and a broomstick.

One of my lil guys last year got his pullup from nothing. Lots of rope climbs, pullups, and leg lifts. Flex arm hang and L hangs are good, too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back