help with back extention to handstand

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

dmh

my daughter is a level 5 (first year) and has a really nice floor routine - scoring 9.4 usually - I can see that her primary deduction is her back extention to handstand - she rises nicely, but arches and does not hold the handstand complete.....

her coaches are not giving her any suggestions on how to get it to a straight handstand -

any suggestions on tips or drills she can do to work this skill appreciated

I would recommend some rolls to a candle stick position, trying hard to stay hollow. Also, she is probably pushing out in her arms too early, therefore coming up before vertical, and then arching to save it. Also, let her practice some level 4 extensions with a same hollow body, but then push out earlier and earlier keeping the same hollow position.

By the way, a 9.4! That's a great score!

my daughter is a level 5 (first year) and has a really nice floor routine - scoring 9.4 usually - I can see that her primary deduction is her back extention to handstand - she rises nicely, but arches and does not hold the handstand complete.....

her coaches are not giving her any suggestions on how to get it to a straight handstand -

any suggestions on tips or drills she can do to work this skill appreciated

There's a great handstand drill that she can do. I'm coach a group of level 4 and 5s and this has helped them alot....you can see it in this article: Handstand Article

If she still has trouble, you are welcome to post a video and I can give some further input :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back