WAG Help with first half of back handspring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How can I teach gymnasts to stretch out their back handsprings (before the hands touch), and to get straight legs?

The answer can be best summed up by answering these questions.

Can you imagine a person doing a bhs with no perceptible arch?

Can you imagine a person doing a bhs with-out tipping their head back?

Can you imagine a person doing a bhs with out reaching around over their head with their arms?

Can you imagine a person doing a bhs with out pushing with their legs?

If your answers were yes, yes, yes, and nooooooooo, you got it right. Sadly the kids we teach have a hard time concentrating on the leg push because they think the first three are so important, and they destroy their ability to use their legs by getting into the most human hostile positions imaginable.

A good strategy is to understand that their mental model of the skill is way out of wack, and to make consistent efforts to change their mental model to one that works. That model would favor the leg push over everything else, because done right it's enough to make all of the major parts, flight, momentum/energy, and tipping upside down.

If you're doubting the upside down part, consider what happens to a broom stick you're holding at vertical balance in the palm of your hand. If you push up just right on the end of the broom stick as it looses it's balance it will turn end over end....just like a bhs. So a bhs needs to start with plenty of energy from the leg push.

You could use a jump back drill onto a resi, or depending on your equipment and ability to foresee accidents...an octagon and into the pit to experience the "flip". I'm sure there are plenty other drills people have to offer, so choose a few that make sense to you......and as long as they don't de-emphasize the leg push, or interfere with it, you'll be good to go.

I try to get my kids to focus on the shapes. I can say that no one single method seems to work for all cases. I stole the following from a college coach.
1. sit back (falling sit)
2. Jump up (This is where I have to clarify the angle I want them to sit. I know there are tons of different ways of looking at this but this is what I use)
3. Don't let your head hit the ground.
I agree it's nearly impossible to get them not to think about the "flipping" part. I tend to spot quite a few and if they start undercutting and doing the high-archy thing, I stop them and shape them. (that's why my back is killing me tonight :) ).

"Jump back" drills can help. I've used level 4 vault mats to help kids figure out the sit and jump angles in the past. I don't have one available to me these days but I did find it very helpful.

Drills on a tramp can be helpful- start at one end, aim to get hands on the cross and feet near the far end.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back