Help with Games?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

P

Posy

Hi, i Coach Gym to level ones in new zealand ( 6-8yrs ) and i was wondering if any one has game ideas. what are the ones you do with your gymnasts?

We play bridge tag, where we run around with one person it, and when you get tagged, you have to do a bridge, and you are un-frozen when someone crawls under the bridge.

We also play frogger, where we put a bunch of mats on the floor, and have to not get tagged by whoever's "it", while not falling off the mats. If "it" falls, then everybody is back in the game.

Jump rope, hula-hoop, and handstand contests are also fun, just be creative!

Almost forgot this, and I can't edit anymore;

If you are on bars, the most fun thing I can say that we ever did at gymnastics was have a "standing on the bar contest". Generally, we stood on the low bars and pit bars and had a contest to see who could stay on the longest, but if you have younger kids, a floor rail would work well... :D

My son, who is nine, loves Beam wars at gym. Gymnasts are divided into two teams, then one person from each team stands on the beam, crash mats underneath, with a foam noodle (swimming noodle), then basically a sword fight, rules are no hitting above the shoulder or below the knees, last person still on the beam wins a point for the team.

My teams plays carpet tag where you get in partners and lay in a circle around the floor. There are two people up. The tagger and the runner.The runner tries to run and drop on hte floor next to a pair before the taggers tags them. If you drop next to teh pair then the person on hte other side becomes the runner. If the tagger tags the runner then the tagger becomes the runner and tries to drop next to another pair.
We also condition with a medicine ball. We throw it across the circle non-stop and if somebody drops it the whole team does 5 push-ups. My team really enjoys it.

We play this game romeo and juliet. Basically there is a team with two people, the big person and the little person. You get all the big people in a circle and run way and all the little people run the other way. You then yell out something like chicken on the hen house and the little person gets on top off the big person and acts like a chicken. YOu could revise it and have everyone run in a big circle and then call out ssomething like shark and they all lay on the floor and but their hands on their heads to make a fin. the last person to do this is out.

Also we play sea and shore. ONe side of the floor is the sea and the other is the shore you start in the middle and yell either sea or shore then they run to that side. There is other things you can to is like climb the ladder,(act like you are climbing a ladder), scrub the deck, and row the boat(where you get in a group of three and you sit in straddle up against each other and row the boat, last group to do it is out or if the group as more or less than three)

I hope some of these helped you!!

Remembered some more... who can hold their handstand longest?
Follow the leader around the gym, the leader does silly actions, commando crawls, walks backwards, hops etc, leader changes each round.
Run and touch a certain number of items (eg five red things or soft things, or all four walls) and run back to the coach, last person back does five push ups.
Run and touch those things with your feet/nose/bottom etc.
Obstacle course out of wedges, spotting boxes, mats etc, time each gymnast and they try to beat their best time.

A fun beam game is to hang underneath (by hands and toes) and see who can swing round to the top without touching the floor. It actually requires quite a lot of core strength. If they master that quickly, see who can get up the fastest or go round and round up one side and swing down the other.

Note: If you have old beams check underneath that there is nothing sticking out first.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back