MAG High Bar Straps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
D

Deleted member 10727

I need to get straps for my son to learn giants, but he is small and his coach says he needs a 23 or a 23.5. The smallest I can find is 24.5. Any ideas (besides making my own)??

The coach says he really needs the measurements I listed above.

Uh yeah. Well. That is a LONG story. I am having to handle this myself, and in fact nagged him about it. They have only done giants training 2x now, and I don't know why he is not using straps. The bar is old and high off the ground (not adjustable), too.

That is odd. Our gym has straps that everyone uses....there are 2 sizes...I have never heard of a parent buying straps..

Maybe a coach will weigh in...

Reactions: sce
You can't buy any strap seperately. They are sold as a complete set.

You can make your own though. I think it would be possible to do out of climbing webbing but a friend of mine said he used to make his in japan out of martial arts belts.

A set of straps costs about $50.

I am pretty sure that DS's gym uses something like this, which, as you can see, are designed for marketing to gyms, not individuals. http://www.gymsupply.com/barstraps8pr.aspx

Don't know how small your child is, but I find it hard to imagine his hands are smaller than one of DS's teammates who turned 8 recently. And I can recall DD and her teammates on the strap bar when they were even smaller than this guy, during their time competing old L5. Coaches, how do you manage with tiny girls if the smallest standard size is 24.5?

I think loops are the same.

My guy is small. Everyone thinks he's 6.

What height/weight percentile is he in? DD was below the 5th for both when she was eight and first working on a strap bar. And she was not the smallest on her team.

I'm pressing because I am wondering if there's something strange about the technique your coach is using. DD's gym is by no means some kind of crazy powerhouse with five year olds who could be competing L7. I can't imagine this problem hasn't been solved many times without parents having to make their own straps or pay someone to design a custom set for small kids. It's not that unusual for a small eight year old girl to be training giants on a strap bar.

Dd is a small 10 (I just bought her some aged 4-5 shorts) she has worn the same loops for 2 years and they are a 28

He is not on the chart. However, I do think the extra thick wristies should work with the smallest strap. If not, the coach told me last night that a seamstress next door can possibly make some straps for him.

The technique the coach used the couple of times they worked on giants was to not use straps. My kid managed a couple of giants with spotting, but his teammate flew off the bar (he was fine).

Hmm. I wonder if your coach is being a bit passive aggressive because he doesn't want to use straps.

I think he has a LOT on his plate right now. Is there a reason not to use straps?

I just bought a set for the gym, it has like six different sizes.
The coach should be dealing with this. Unless you want to provide the complete set.
One of my gimmes is 50 lbs, and is the size of a regular 6/7 yo child.
Straps are not a problem.

I bought a pair of these once upon a time. No need to look for straps and worry about if half a pair is missing.

http://www.gymsupply.com/leatherbarstraps.aspx

Less worry about straplock as well. My friend really liked them for adults in his adult class. I think he has my pair.

Thing is that they are not as fast in or out. A better strap system is 2 sets of PVC per bar, one kid on each side standing on a block.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back