High School coming

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cher062

Ok in Sept my DD will be entering High School (still can't believe it). She is debating if she will tryout for their team or not. I told her to at least try out and if she makes it she has the option of accepting or not. In our state they can do both HS and Club gymnastics. She loves her Club now and her coaches and I think with all that has happened over the past year she is afraid of more change in gymnastics and what the differences might be.

So my question is how different is High School Gymnastics vs Club Gymnastics.
What skills are usually required etc.

Cher, in our state you can also compete both HS and club gym. My dd is still in grade school, but I have friends in the gym whose dds do both. What they have said is that the skills are watered down in HS gym, particularly on floor because in our state the girls tumble on nothing more than a mat laid over the basketball floor - no springs. They also have said that the experience has been tremendous for their girls. HS gym, like college, is much much more about the team than the individual gymnast. The camaraderie and team spirit is something that these moms have told me they are so glad their dds are getting to experience. In short, HS gym is a load of fun! Your dd definitely should give it a shot.

The HC for my DD's YMCA team is also the assistant head coach for the high school team. Basically the "core" of the highschool team is made up entirely of Y girls. The private gym in town does not allow their gymnsts to participate in the HS team. I think that's a shame. Yes, HS practices may interfere with club practices, and maybe if a girl is working on advancing through the levels and building elite skills with the hope of a college scholarship, it would be better for her to concentrate on club only. But for most girls, this isn't going to happen. I think it's great for the girls to have a chance to be a part of something at their school... have their accomplishments announced over the pa system in home room, have a letter jacket, etc. I hope that, if my DD is still in gymnastics when she gets to HS, that she will want to be on the team!

My daughter competes both HS and Club. As Megley said, the HS routines are very much watered down, esp. floor. It's hard to get a lot of bounce from a floor that has no springs!!! A lot of girls also do a vault that is much less difficult than what they could do.... I've actually seen most HS injuries take place from vaulting. A lot of the schools don't have the mats like they do in club... but that's a totally different story. A lot of the clubs around me allow the girls to compete for their HS teams. It's really nice to see the girls get involved in a HS sport... have that "team" spirit (which is truly the case in HS, because it's all about the TEAM score, not the individual); get that Varsity letter, etc. Totally different from club!

I've done highschool gym for 2 years now, and I really love it. The skills are definitely watered down, but it depends on the area that you're in. Most of the schools in my area rent out club gyms, so there is real equipment at meets and practice. I LOVE the environment in highschool gymnastics. At the meets, everyone is cheering for everyone, and it's just a really good time. I'd tell her to go for it!

Cher, in our state you can also compete both HS and club gym. My dd is still in grade school, but I have friends in the gym whose dds do both. What they have said is that the skills are watered down in HS gym, particularly on floor because in our state the girls tumble on nothing more than a mat laid over the basketball floor - no springs. They also have said that the experience has been tremendous for their girls. HS gym, like college, is much much more about the team than the individual gymnast. The camaraderie and team spirit is something that these moms have told me they are so glad their dds are getting to experience. In short, HS gym is a load of fun! Your dd definitely should give it a shot.

I have heard from those who have done it that HS gymnastics is fun compared to club gymnastics which they described as work..which doesn't mean they didn't like either, just different approaches.

My daughter has not done HS gymnastics for a few reasons...as Megley said above, they "tumble on a mat laid over a basketball floor."..I'd be afraid she would get hurt using equipment like described and her club coaches in the past, did not allow it so it was a non-issue. She is thinking of trying to fit it in next year by basically showing up to meets and competing for the school but to be honest, if I saw marginal equipment at the meet site , I wouldn't let her compete....so I think when people say a lot of the clubs won't let their girls do HS , this is a big part of the reasoning.

Im not on a high school team (sadly my school does not have one), but most of my teammates are! They say its a ton of fun and the meets are so loud and encouraging, with signs and tons and tons of team spirit. Something club gym rarely has! Skill wise, they say they learn no new skills on the school team, but perfect the skills they have and compete interesting and fun combos, since the rules are very different then most leagues. They require medium, superior, high superior etc skills instead of a, b, c... etc. So it's different requirements and combinations of skills and definitely fun, and less pressure then club teams. They also always learn crazy dance moves and nice additions and changes to their routines :) For your DD, I'd say definitely do it as long as nights and practices don't conflict, because it sounds like she doesn't want to miss her club team. But it's a great experience and makes school more fun being a part of team and competing for your school with classmates!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back