Hit a wall with twisting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aerialriver

Coach
Gymnast
Stupid twisting. I hate it! Just had to get that out. I have posted about my struggles with twisting, back and front. Now I am in a bad spot. Coach will not let me move up until I have a rudi (1 1/2 front twist) I had a front full, even got to a 1 1/4 full landed on my feet and not too shabby in form and now it is all gone again. I don't get what I need to do. It is a mental block. I used to try keywords like heals up and pull but now that doesn't work. I really need a step by step guide to front twisting but not overly technical. I would love some drills as well. My coach is great but she did gymnastics and everything came naturally so she doesn't really know what to tell me. I have 2 months to get it together. Any advice, even if it is something you use that sounds weird, at this point I need any help I can get!

Are you trying it from a layout? Have you tried pike open twisting? It might help give a mental cue when to twist (on the open).

As for drills I haven't tried this one specifically myself yet, but someone was suggesting to teach it from the pike (the 1/2 and full, but off tramp you could probably work the 1.5 as well), and to start it from a front headspring onto a soft block (sort of a pike open deal), preferably a wedge mat, and when they snap open to do a half turn to prone (push up position).

I learned front twisting by going back to pike open. Originally it was taught to me from a layout and my ability was abysmal. I had no idea where I was. I frequently twisted too early or the wrong way (I twist left). I went back to a pike open, then pike open half twist, then pike open full, even to rudi. Eventually I was just able to make this a layout. Now I can punch rudi on a gymnastic floor so my ability improved significantly.

can you post both your front and back twisting so that i may have a look?

Yeah sorry, next week hopefully. Our gym was crazy this week and on the day I was going to get the videos they had ripped down the equiptment I wanted to do them on for a meet. I go again Tuesday, just need to find someone to video them.

NOw aerial river, do you have two accounts???? That is a HUGE no no here on the CB, for all the reasons you can see right here!

I suggest you PM me and let me know which one to ban, before I decide myself!

o.o It was my immediate assumption 10.0 accidentally posted on the wrong topic, but after re-reading I'm not sure...

I'm sorry I am not arielriver, I misread the post, I thought they were looking for videos of people doing fulls. Then I re-read the entire post and realized they were wanting videos of ariel's fulls. That is what happens when you don't get much sleep and don't fully read things before you post lol.

But, who were you apologizing to with "yeah sorry"?? You hadn't even posted on this thread yet (using the 10.0 account, at least). :confused: Just saying...

Edit: I just saw this on another thread:

"I hit a place in my gymnastics where I hated front twisting, and back twisting but front more, my coach told me I had to front twist in order to move up."

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/coach-forum/30674-creative-front-fly-entry.html

Sound like anyone?

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back