WAG Hitting the bottom of an above ground pit... Bone bruise...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have kids from my gym at Iowa State Camp this week!! I'm sorry to say it has been AWFUL!! The entire group is mostly 7 and 8 year olds and every single one has cried because of something one of the "coaches" (ISU gymnasts) has said to them!! They made fun of one girl's name, asked another girl if she was stupid, refused to spot another on a simple back handspring (which she has but is afraid of), etc etc!!! And when one of the coaches saw one of my kids crying, they rolled their eyes at her!! The director was awful as well. I really hate to rant about it because I literally NEVER complain, but to see little girls bawling because of what these adults have said to them really makes me crazy!!

Geez. I would totally go Mama Panda bear. I'm a real sucker for girl's crying.

Angry Panda bear.

I have kids from my gym at Iowa State Camp this week!! I'm sorry to say it has been AWFUL!! The entire group is mostly 7 and 8 year olds and every single one has cried because of something one of the "coaches" (ISU gymnasts) has said to them!! They made fun of one girl's name, asked another girl if she was stupid, refused to spot another on a simple back handspring (which she has but is afraid of), etc etc!!! And when one of the coaches saw one of my kids crying, they rolled their eyes at her!! The director was awful as well. I really hate to rant about it because I literally NEVER complain, but to see little girls bawling because of what these adults have said to them really makes me crazy!!

Aww. That is awful. My daughter said they were nice, but she's in the L8,9,10 group. We have some college age coaches at our gym and they are not nice to the little ones either. I guess that age group struggles with being patient and nice to younger kids.

Yes. In the USAG Safety cert it goes over minimum/recommended pit depths for pits that have a tramp bottom vs concrete bottom.

I think for a tramp bottom it's 4' and concrete it's 6'. So it can definitely happen which is why I really don't like concrete bottom tramps as you can go through the pit to the bottom, especially once you get bigger and when you are working doubles.

no. 6 for tramp bottom and 8 for cement bottom.

She said this pit didn't have a tramp at the bottom and she hit concrete. She was doing vault (layout) and she's 5'6" so not the typical shorty.

okay, that's BS. and she needs to have that looked at right away. okay? call and raise hell.

here's who you contact: [email protected] Dr. Marc Shulman. he is the team physician and the boss of all the trainers. then contact Jay Ronayne the head coach at [email protected], Katie(Teft formerly of Twistars) Minasola at minasolaiastate.edu or Kristen Maloney (formerly of Parkettes and former Olympian) at [email protected].

contact them all TONIGHT by email and DEMAND that someone contact you in the morning. do it now. and PM me if they give you any s*&#.

I <3 Dunno!

It really does make it a lot better to have someone with your knowledge willing to help and share your experience and/or contacts.

To the OP -- I hope you get some action/apologies/answers.

Thanks, Dunno. I was thinking that sounded a bit shallow but remember the 2' difference. I'll need to know that if I recertify my Safety.

I would be calling the camp director. If my kid sent me a photo of an injury like that, combined with the story, I would expect it to be looked at by a doctor. That trainer needs a kick in the ***. As for giving her Advil, they could call you to ask and she should be icing often. The trainer is a joke.

This is why I'm so upset about this situation: as the wife of a trainer, I see how much time, energy and passion my husband puts into his job. He will bend over backwards to make sure athletes are taken care of. This trainer gives the profession (and the college, IMHO) a bad name and needs to be reported to the college, state licensing agency and even NATA.

How is she? Did you talk to the people Dunno suggested?

I've been thinking about her (and you) ever since I read this early this morning.

How is she? Did you talk to the people Dunno suggested?

I've been thinking about her (and you) ever since I read this early this morning.

Today was the last day of camp so she left today around noon. I didn't email last night since she was leaving today. She said it does feel better, but that she still can't walk on it 100% normal. I've already made her an appointment at our Dr, I will email them about their lovely trainer after that.
On a positive note, she said Jay, the head coach, was the happiest coach she's ever met! .....and on the way home they stopped by Chow's gym and took some pics. She said that is the "biggest gym ever"

Wow. I only just saw this and I'm horrified. Not so much the pit, I don't know enough about them, but that your daughter picked up that injury and nobody did anything??!! I would expect them to act immediately to sit her out, elevate it, ice it and then take her for an x-ray or at least to have it checked out. I can't understand why they would risk the potential fallout of neglecting an injury like that, it make no sense and I would be livid.

Update: just wanted to let you know her X-Ray looked perfect! Dr. said he was very surprised, but it's just a bone bruise, which takes 6-8 weeks to completely heal. I'm so glad! She can still do gym, just needs to ice and take Motrin.
Also.... Camp emailed to check on her. I thought that was sweet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back