Hoping to become a coach one day

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm hoping to coach one day (pre-team or recreational) and wanted to know a few things first.

- Depending on how much you work, approximately how much do coaches make? (per hour for example) If it makes any difference I live in Canada.

- If you haven't been in gymnastics from a young age, how much training should you have before becoming a coach?

I may have more questions but can't think of any others at the moment.

1. I have heard of a certain former Olympian National hero turned Elite coach who made up to $30/hr in South Bay of San Francisco in California. Bare in mind, that is one of the most expensive areas in the country. Some rec coaches may make up to $20/hr.

A FT club coach could make up to 50k/yr or so especially if they are in a city position. In North Bay Ca our FT coaches made between 40-48k/yr but were also a city employee.

I have heard of collegiate D1 Coaches making 70-100k/year.

A gym director at some gyms may vary from 40-65k/year. Maybe. That would of course depend on how successful that gym is.

2. All depends on what kind of gymnastics you are going to coach. Recreational kinder or schoolage, Developmental, Compulsory, Optional, Elite.

In Canada there is a national training system for coaches so it's different there than the states. USAG and a few other associations have accreditation and certification but most of it isn't necessary besides USAG Safety Certification which takes a day or doing it online.

how long do you have to do gym for? we have a coach who never set foot in a gym in her life - mind you she only coaches rec. I have done 2 years of gym (level 6 now) and am probably assistant coaching some level 3s next year. So you don't necessarily need to have done gym for that long. I think the likelihood of someone hiring you would also be based on what level you got too. i.e. if a 16 year old was level 3 and another 16 year old was level 6 who are they going to ask to help? even if its for rec?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back