How do you talk to coaches about college?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well i would like to start off by telling you that i participate in AGA, which has no compulsory levels but rather set level by score going from junior prep 1-5 (here there are no require ments but you are only allowed to compete As and Bs), junior 6-10, and junior, senior, and pre-elite. for more info this is their website, and i can answer more questions. AGA - Home

Now on to my question. While understanding that i have a slim chance at going to college considering that i am currently a freshman and competing in a smaller gymnastics organization, i have a very weak chance of doing gymnatics in college, or maybe i have a great chance that i why i need to talk to my coach but i am unsure of how to do this. Im worried about getting told a vague answer of "you can do anything you set your mind to". Which in my mind means i dont have a chance at a division 3 college, which is really what im setting my heart on.

So how do i go about asking my coach about college gymnastics, what it takes to get there, what i need to do, and if he thinks i can make it?

P.S. a conference which includes my parents is really out of the question as they really dont care is i quit tomorro, they would actually be happy.

Thanks in advance

Hi Jennifir,

The way you asked here on the forum is perfectly fine. :) Your coach knows your abilities more than anyone else, sometimes even you and will give you a straight answer. He/she should help you set realistic goals in terms of what programs would work for you.

When considering my school, a gymnastics program was right at the top of my list of priorities. But then I had to consider, costs, distance and what programs they offered academically to see if it was right for me. A D3 school doesn't give scholarships nor does an Ivy League School like where I was accepted.

Turns out I started college at age 24, when I had been out of the gym for almost 6 years. The school I went to did not have a NCAA college team, yet rather a club with NIAGC. They also compete against different schools, men and women, its more relaxed and heck of a lot of fun. Even some of those schools that do have a reputable NCAA team have an NIAGC team as well. There is no try-out, no stress on making a team, yet I was surrounded by the sport I love so much and the people involved we just like me! Check out their club list NAIGC

I hope this sheds light on your problem and shows you that there is gymnastics in every step in life's journey weather it be high level competition or just for fun.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back