Parents How far would you or do you travel for a high quality gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmom8772

Proud Parent
If there were limited choices in your area for a decent gym, how far is the furthest you would consider traveling for a high quality gym?

I wouldn't go much further than an hour I don't think.

If my kid was an 11 year old potential elite I'd maybe think differently. But even then I think it'd be easier (and cheaper!) to move house than commute over two hours a day. Especially if I have other children not in gymnastics.

But then it has always been in our life plans to move at some point so dh can have a major career change.

All of our nearby gyms are an hour or more - one of the drawbacks of living in rural areas. We chose the one in the nearby city we travelled to the most, and it has a good reputation for our area. We have to leave about 90 minutes before practice starts to be on time, but they also have a great rec program and my daughters are happy there.

Our commute is 90 minutes (each way) without traffic or weather issues....that about maxes me out..

We used to travel about 45 min (no traffic) or 55 min in traffic. I don't want to go much farther than an hour, unless dd ends up progressing to a very high level... then I might consider going further if that's what's required.

The furthest I would go is about 45 minutes, and even that is a stretch. When we moved from the rec gym to a more serious gym, I didn't even visit that gym. I wouldn't be able to go home during practices, and it would be way too hard to coordinate getting her there and also having my little boy with me too.

I wouldn't drive more than a half hr away for any sport or arts program in the beginning levels. As they progress, it seems more logical to expand the radius to access better programs. But I still wouldn't drive more than an hour away regularly for any activity. If I thought one of my children would really benefit, we would find a way to move closer. Those long commutes several times a week just aren't for us. We chose our area because it had a wide range of options (for all sports) within 30min drive. And we chose the kids sports based on what was available.

It sounds like it's not too uncommon to travel a distance for a good gym. Do you stay for the whole practice or do you have a carpool with anyone? A carpool would definitely help a long commute situation for sure!

right now we go 45 minutes. year after next we are likely going to have to change gyms. I have been trying to figure it out; but the logistics of our current gym with my kids going to middle school are just stressing me out too much. The gym is in a different county and practice starts based on their county's schedule. Practice starts before my kids will even be out of school. We have looked into private schools; but have not found one that fits for us that is less than an hour drive away. oy.

There is a gym with an excellent program also 45 min away but I don't know if I can manage it without some type of carpool situation four days a week. How have you been able to manage it so far?

I have done all of the driving so far for us; but there is a chance that between my 3 kids that we are about to swap to 6 days per week. I don't know if I can do it. I wish there was a carpool option!

Oh, and I tend to stay. Because for me, with 3 kids, I have them starting every 30 minutes for a 1.5 hour period. Then 2 hours with everyone in practice. Then someone getting out every hour for a 2 hour period. It is a 45 minute drive with very little traffic. It is more than an hour with heavier (like the time I'd be driving) traffic. So I can't make it home and back. Now that it is colder I tend to do some grocery shopping during practice. I've been doing some Christmas shopping. I try to find other things to do; but often I sit upstairs and work on my lap top.

I was just going to ask you if you stay or not. I don't think staying is really an option for me because my other child that does not do gymnastics will have no parts of it. I just hate the idea of driving 45 min there, driving home in traffic just to turn around 2 hrs later to pick her up and drive home again.

Honestly, I'm trying to think of what I'll do if one of my DDs' schedule changes. I'm kind of thinking that for those two days, when she would have practice and the other two don't, I might drop off and come back. Ideally I might even see if I can get a babysitter so that the other two kids can stay home and get to bed.

Isn't it amazing how much we do as parents to make this gymnastics thing work!?! I never thought in a million years my child's sport could take up so much of my time and finances and it's only getting worse!

I drive 25 minutes in city traffic there..15 no traffic home at night. (a mere 6 mile drive but it's the traffic/lights that get us!)

Honestly, I wouldn't do more than I already do!

We have a gym that's trained Olympians 30 minutes away (no traffic...prob closer to 50 min in traffic on the way there) But I'd never do it....just can't justify the traffic!

Because we are in an urban area, we have many good choices so I picked one of the many based on convenience. The gym is competitive, has trained high level gymnasts so it's all good.

I think as a parent you need to do what you know works for you and your family. I need to be able to get home while my daughter is at the gym for 4 hours!

I drive 35-40 minutes right now. But to be fair, or old gym was 27. There are two closer gyms (about 20 minutes), but I've not heard good things so we don't go there.

It is absolutely worth the drive for me right now. Even though dd is just starting out (first level in the advanced/pre competetive program), it is worth the drive. She is learning much more and much better form than she was at the slightly closer gym. She already has had to overcome some bad habits/form taught at the old gym.

I know people say it doesn't matter when they are just starting, and I would agree if things are being taught properly, but if not, put them where they teach the correct form. It is way harder to "relearn" later.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back