How many hours do you train?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Reaction score
Currently, my level 4 daughter trains Tuesday 4-7:30 and Thursday and Friday 4-7. My level 5 trains Monday and Wednesday 5-8:30, Friday 4-7, and Saturday 9-12. My level 7 trains Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday 5-8:30 and Saturday 9-12. In total: Level 4: 9 1/2 hours. Level 5: 13 hours. Level 7: 13 1/2. Is this too much? How many hours do you train?

That seems like it's on the low end of what we do around here. Here it's 12 hrs/week for both level 4 and level and 19 hrs/week for level 7 (25-30 hrs over the summer).

At our gym, our lower level gymnasts train 6 hours a week and our higher level gymnasts train 11-12 hours a week. I imagine it's quite the jump, though ever since I've been on team I've trained at least 11 hours a week and I now train 12.

If any gymnasts make it to Atlantics (top 6 in Provincials) or Easterns (top three in Provincials or Atlantics) they do additional training in the morning before school (eek!) and on the days they normally don't train.

I am a level eight and i go 30 hors a week (five hours a day for 6 days a week) but when I was a level 7 I only went 25 hours a week, and my little sister is a level five and only traines 20 hours a week. oh and the level 4 team at my gym only go 20 hours also. Hope this helped

those are reasonable hours. and as they do more they will require more hours.

I am a level eight and i go 30 hors a week (five hours a day for 6 days a week) but when I was a level 7 I only went 25 hours a week, and my little sister is a level five and only traines 20 hours a week. oh and the level 4 team at my gym only go 20 hours also. Hope this helped

Whow! From the very earliest competitive level, kids are training 20 hours? Kids in grade 1 and 2 do those hours? The max. In our gym is 25 hours and those kids are competing internationally.

Gymnastics Canada has a document on their site about appropriate hours for different ages. Link Removed The document is about long term development of gymnasts. My 6 year old does 9 hours, and that exceeds the recommended training hours. I was very impressed by this document when I came across it, but it seems that actual practice is very different from this document. I am curious what some of the more BTDT parents and coaches who have watched kids train for much longer hours over many years think of it? Sensible? Unrealistic?

I am in level 5 and we train monday, tuesday, thursday friday from 4-8 (16 hours a week)

I agree with the previous poster...that's A LOT of hours!! 20 hours for a Level 4?? My DD was 7 when she was a Level 4!!

As to the original poster, your hours sound about right. My DD is Level 5 and does 11 hours. All optionals at our gym do 12 hours, with an additional 3 hours optional for them.

level 6 and I train 10 but most of my team train 13

Level 5 dd trains 10hrs 7yrs old .."...team has all major skills but not absolutely polished but very happy in the sport.with low attrition on team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

The Best Of All Time: Layout Jaeger

UPDATE: The Liukin Club

Back