Anon How to get straight arm kip?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (f887)

My daughter has a kip with consistency. She had fairly straight arms until she started working kip to free hip/clear hip (not sure which) back into a kip. She is platinum if that helps. Now, she is back to just muscling her way through the kips. What can she do get straight arms on her kip? Also, what exercises can she do to get that second kip with more consistency as sometimes she is not able to get it.

Really just kip drills so she is getting muscle memory of what her body is doing when pulling her up with straight arms. It may seem odd that a skill she has consistently for awhile is “degressing” but connecting a clear hip to a kip is VERY different motion that may take some getting used to. Just give it time.

My daughter has a kip with consistency. She had fairly straight arms until she started working kip to free hip/clear hip (not sure which) back into a kip. She is platinum if that helps. Now, she is back to just muscling her way through the kips. What can she do get straight arms on her kip? Also, what exercises can she do to get that second kip with more consistency as sometimes she is not able to get it.
Can I make a guess: is she between 10 and 13 years old? And finding it harder to keep clean form on a lot of skills she already has?

I ask because this sounds like what I'd expect during a growth spurt. In that case, core strength will help, but it will mostly just take time.

If not, the next most likely scenario is that she's rushing the kip in anticipation of the clear hip. Initiating the kip later will (up to a point) make it easier and more powerful.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News