Parents How to tell if a meet is sanctioned

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
Reaction score
My DD has a meet this weekend and the email sent out with the info said this,

"Awards - No rankings. Goodie bag and all around medal only. (We will handle the goodie bag)"

I was under the impression that, per the code, there has to be awards to 40% for each event and the AA. Does the lack of rankings and awards mean it isn't a sanctioned meet, or mean nothing?

Thanks!

NYS lists all their meets and let's you know which ones are sanctioned.

Our coaches usually tell us though and if they forget we ask.

We are in California. I don't think I have seen a complete list like that here. It would be HUGE, even accounting for the separation into two states. I have just never seen anything like this, with the lack of rankings/awards. Isn't that kinda the point of a competition?

Last edited:
We had a "Theme Meet" (not sanctioned/ or not a state qualifier) this year, might of actually had the biggest turnout of the year. Just ribbons, only for 1st, 2nd, 3rd. small trophy for all around.

Northern Cal has a site too, I just took a shot on the copy and paste, format slightly different and different still from NYS. Our state site clearly lists meets as State Qualifer, which I assume means sanctioned.

No, I know that NorCal has a site.. I was on it not too long ago looking up info for states and regionals. Instead of a list, they have a calander, with big meets on it. This meet was planned well after the season started, and we aren't hosting. My DDs HC hasnt been able to answer my question, which is why I brought it here.

My question mainly was this: if a meet doesn't follow the code in terms of awards, does that mean it's not a real meet? Real meaning sanctioned. If it isn't sanctioned what are the odds of the scoring being worth attending the meet?

Just for us.....

I try to keep my girls schedule to about one a month, which works out to about three plus states/regionals. I figure that gives her 3 shots to qualify and settle in to her routines in a comp setting. If we have 2 meets in a month and one is not a qualifier that would be the one we don't do. And I won't commit until I know. So I hear you.

Perhaps you could call the host gym??

We are in California. I don't think I have seen a complete list like that here. It would be HUGE, even accounting for the separation into two states. I have just never seen anything like this, with the lack of rankings/awards. Isn't that kinda the point of a competition?

Good job you aren't in another country. Here in the UK (and in many other countries - US is really the exception) - often only the top 3 get medals all around and there can be nothing given for individual pieces. This can be out of 80 and above gymnasts in one section. It does vary from competition to competition. Surely the point of competing is for gymnasts to get out and do their routines in front of a judge and get a score and enjoy themselves?

Same in France- no event medals, AA medals vary from top 3 to top 8 only. But I do understand the frustration with lack of ranking- my DD was recently in what she thought was a competition. She had no expectations of placing in the top 3 but was hoping to move up from her placement last year. But they just gave all gymnasts a medal and no idea of how they did. So I agree that that was not a competition, and she was disappointed not to find out if she had moved up in placement. A competition does need a comparative outcome measure to be called a competition in my view.

Same in France- no event medals, AA medals vary from top 3 to top 8 only. But I do understand the frustration with lack of ranking- my DD was recently in what she thought was a competition. She had no expectations of placing in the top 3 but was hoping to move up from her placement last year. But they just gave all gymnasts a medal and no idea of how they did. So I agree that that was not a competition, and she was disappointed not to find out if she had moved up in placement. A competition does need a comparative outcome measure to be called a competition in my view.

Yes, thank you! My DD has no expectation of placing on anything, but has been slowly improving every single meet, and is certainly looking for the judging to be similar to other meets to gauge her own continued improvements.

we have sanctioned meets for the boys that do not do event awards, just all around. Usually 1 a year, sometimes 2.

Before our in-house meet last year some of the new parents were questioning if the meet was sanctioned. We received a lengthy email from team manager, explaining that any meet we go to is sanctioned. No gym would risk to host a non-sanctioned meet. Don't remember the exact explanation, but I'm pretty sure it had to do with the insurance, and how non-sanctioned event would not be covered. In our state we have meets that can be used as "sectional", and others that are just "pre-sectionals", but even pre-sectional meets are sanctioned.
And yes, we've been to the meets without awards, just achievement ribbons, or achievement medals for everyone. I believe 40 or 50% awards rule is recommendation, but not the requirement.

If you can find on the meet invitation flyer, that would tell you if the meet is sanctioned (maybe go to the website of the host gym and see if there is anything up). That said, we've been to unsanctioned meets and usually the judges (at least most, if not all) are still USAG judges. We went to an unsanctioned and sanctioned meet 2 weeks apart and scoring was very similar, so I wouldn't assume that just because a meet is unsanctioned the scoring will be bogus.

I got my answer, definitively. Thanks guys. It IS sanctioned. I was just all confused by this:

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1426083062.830219.jpg

Now, I see this isn't really a *rule* and I am all good.

When we used to have sectionals in our state, there were no awards, just the AA medals. They were sanctioned meets, so I guess there might be exceptions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back