WAG hydration (water vs. sport drinks, juice, etc.)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sugar is not inherently evil, and provided your juice doesn't have extra sugar added and still has the pulp, it's fine. In fact, if you get a Ninja or one of those small smoothie blenders, you can throw whole fruit in it and "hide" a good amount of vegetables in there without the kiddos even noticing. You'd be surprised how much spinach you can "sneak" in with fruit before they notice the taste. Kale, however, is a very strong flavor, and there's no getting that past them.

I never said that sugar was evil, but during practice you don't want to be consuming a lot of sugar. And yes those smoothies are a great idea, but I wouldn't necessarily drink them during workout. Though I would definitely have one for a pre-workout meal. :)

I think, in layman's terms, sugary drinks immediately raise the blood sugar, the body over compensates with insulin, very quickly the blood sugar plummets to lower then before and the person needs to drink some more sugary drink......

For energy way better to load with slower release carbohydrates before exercise, and drink water DURING training......and that's what our coaches tell us to do:D:rolleyes:

I never said that sugar was evil, but during practice you don't want to be consuming a lot of sugar. And yes those smoothies are a great idea, but I wouldn't necessarily drink them during workout. Though I would definitely have one for a pre-workout meal. :)
The smoothies are about all we can get into her stomach on the car ride down. She's not quite hungry from lunch at school, but can't really make it until the end of practice.

I also have a dd who suffers from headaches periodically during practice. Water and snacks did not resolve the issue. Gatorade during practice does. We go with what works for her.

I also have a dd who suffers from headaches periodically during practice. Water and snacks did not resolve the issue. Gatorade during practice does. We go with what works for her.

DS went through a brief phase where he wanted/needed Gatorade during practice because he was getting stomach cramps. I think it was a calorie deficit issue. We started forcing a snack on him before practice and it resolved.

I will say it. Sugar is Evil, and laced in everything that we consume. A smoothie is even worse. Our bodies are not designed to consume a pound of sugar....

Sports drinks have a ton of sugar in them- almost as much as soda, and some have just as much sugar as the same volume of soda. Sugar ultimately causes inflammation in the body,(don't need any extra inflammation!) so it's just water for us. Daughter drinks coconut water at practice in the summertime for extra electrolytes. She tends to get headaches when it is hot in the gym, and the electrolytes help. (it helped when she drank Gatorade too, before we decided to cut out the sugar) She eventually gets sick of the taste of the coconut water diluted in water though, so I can't wait to try Seeker's recipe that includes a splash of juice and the healthy salt. (-:

We do water only. Actually, other than a glass of almond milk in the morning, water is all we drink at home, at dance, at gym, etc...

We went to the Museum of Science last summer and they did an experiment where they pulled the sugar from vitamin water and then showed us the equivalent of white sugar in a baggie. It was amazing how much sugar was in something with 'water' in the title! And 'vitamin!'

We did a sugar visual recently, too! At a friend's house, we checked the back of a 16-oz soda can (I think it was Sprite) and saw that it contained 38 grams of sugar. My friend got out her kitchen scale and her container of sugar, and measured out that amount onto a paper plate. It was staggering- looking at a paper dinner plate full of sugar! Here's the picture I took of it....
10888530_799718243430252_152748567133945182_n.jpg

20 oz of Gatorade has about 35 grams of sugar- almost as much...

Sugar is the reason we have such a high rate of type 2 diabetes here on the US. And the leading cause if obesity. I have said it for years,,. It's not the fries, its the super size drink and all the "supposed" healthy things we consume. Like, yogurt , juice, smoothies, power bars, gator aid, sugar free crap, etc... Here's a challenge to anyone out there. Go 30 days without consuming sugary drinks including alcohol desserts and anything over-the-counter that has excess sugar in it, Including all fruit. (You will live, Take a vitamin make sure it's not a sweet sugary gummy bear vitamins) I'm not talking about Eliminating bread which has sugar in it, Just things that have an excess amount of sugar in it. At the same time keep eating everything else that you normally eat and just as much as you normally eat. That includes steak chicken wings , you get the picture. Then after 30 days weigh yourself. And keep going for another two months.... You just lost 20 pounds, Just by changing your sugar intake.... Also very important do not consume anything that says sugar-free no desserts no drinks nothing that says sugar-free you need to drink water and milk and that's it!

my dad hates anything sweet. He grew up during the second world war and in the UK there was no sugar. When he first travelled to the US he was amazed at how sweet everything was, even the bread. He used to buy Cuban Bread from small markets as it was sugar free. Your corn lobby is very strong and corn syrup is in everything !

Here in the UK we are not as bad, but most processed food has sugar in it as its a cheap filler.

my dad hates anything sweet. He grew up during the second world war and in the UK there was no sugar. When he first travelled to the US he was amazed at how sweet everything was, even the bread. He used to buy Cuban Bread from small markets as it was sugar free. Your corn lobby is very strong and corn syrup is in everything !

Here in the UK we are not as bad, but most processed food has sugar in it as its a cheap filler.
Almost everything in Australia has dextrose from in it too.

CoachP a HOMEMADE smoothie is just that, homemade. I make for my DD in the summer. I make sure she hydrates through the day with water, and plenty of h20 at gym in the summer, I allow her to take coconut water for snack time. Only coconut water because its totally natural, no dyes, no extra sugar, no chemicals.

Only water allowed at DD's gym and if the kids don't come to training with a water bottle, the parents are reminded by email to provide one.

CoachP a HOMEMADE smoothie is just that, homemade. I make for my DD in the summer. I make sure she hydrates through the day with water, and plenty of h20 at gym in the summer, I allow her to take coconut water for snack time. Only coconut water because its totally natural, no dyes, no extra sugar, no chemicals.
No extra sugar but loads of sugar anyways..... And I mean LOADS. Do you think eating a whole watermelon is healthy, or an entire basket of grapes? No, the body does not require this.

Only water allowed at DD's gym and if the kids don't come to training with a water bottle, the parents are reminded by email to provide one.

Yes, only water allowed in any gym dd has been to. Her current gym has a built in water cooler plus drinking fountains if they forgot their bottle.

Sorry, CoachP, but we put maybe half banana, a few berries, maybe some high protein nuts and greek yogurt for our before practice smoothies. So, we do not make it from a packet or too much fruit. You are right about too much sugar. It's everywhere. Did you know that high fructose corn syrup was initially used as a preservative?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back