WAG Hypothetical question for USAG Judges

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So hypothetically, say there is a gymnast who needs to score out of Level 4 and Level 5 and she basically knows the routines...
What would you charge to go in to the gym and and do a score out meet for her... first one level, then the next... in the same day?

I know there are minimums... I think like a 3 hour minimum.
So, if you lived within an hour of the gym, would $150 cover something like that?

I think the usag website lists fees for judges? I guess there can't be one fee nationwide though, so that's probably a minimum. It does say that the minimum is 2 hours and mileage applies over 30 miles (I think), and a break has to be included over 2 hours. I may be slightly off, but it's something like that.

I think the usag website lists fees for judges? I guess there can't be one fee nationwide though, so that's probably a minimum. It does say that the minimum is 2 hours and mileage applies over 30 miles (I think), and a break has to be included over 2 hours. I may be slightly off, but it's something like that.
The price varies based on the judge's rating... and the chart I saw started with 3 hours (no break required unless it is more than 3 hours or else some of these meets would be in trouble, lol)... and I know there is a per diem for food and a separate one for gas... I know ABOUT what our HC paid for a judge the last time, but she was already there - she just stayed after... and the cost was split between 4 girls ... and since the judge had already exceeded the minimum hours, they only had to pay for an hour of her time :)

And don't forget, you have to get a sanction - $85 one size fits all.
Thank you... good to know. :)
And a USAG Athlete number, if she doesn't already have one $54.
Still waiting to hear from a judge to be sure on per diem etc... but I am guessing $275 total could get it done.

I would definitely suggest going with ZJsMom's idea - enter into a real meet and only pay the entry fee (or 2 if you are doing two sessions in one meet).

And don't you need 2 judges for it to count as a qualifying score? So take whatever you've got and multiply by 2.

Per-diam is dependent on how far the judge is at the meet site/distance traveled. If it's a local judge working for a few hours, you won't be paying per diam.

Edit to my previous message: if they are there over three hours, than per diem is $15 (but if you feed the judge lunch, that's not required).

Are you doing this just for one athlete? If so, it seems a lot easier just to find a small local meet and enter her.
It would actually cost about the same, maybe less to do the individual score out. One judge can do it as long as the judge is rated high enough. Plan it for during a private with the coach (one that is normally scheduled, so no extra there)... stretch and warm up for L4 before the judge is scheduled to arrive. The entire thing ACTUALLY takes max of a half hour, including L5 warm up time... less time than a local meet for two sessions and don't have to pay for parking, admission, or concessions.

I was going to ask about paying for the coach and use of the gym but having it during a private takes care of that.

It would actually cost about the same, maybe less to do the individual score out. One judge can do it as long as the judge is rated high enough. Plan it for during a private with the coach (one that is normally scheduled, so no extra there)... stretch and warm up for L4 before the judge is scheduled to arrive. The entire thing ACTUALLY takes max of a half hour, including L5 warm up time... less time than a local meet for two sessions and don't have to pay for parking, admission, or concessions.

Interesting about the 1 judge if "rated high enough." Our state website doesn't indicate that. Our qualifying scores and the note about 2 judges being required are here: http://www.pagymnastics.com/wp-content/uploads/file/pastatehandbook/2015/Qualifying Scores.doc

I think one judge can do it for certain levels, but higher levels need two. I don't remember the cutoff exactly but I thought level 5 needed two. Let me see...

It looks like one judge is allowed for all compulsory levels, based on what I'm reading in the R&P, although some states have different rules for qualification to states. Most of those state that if there's a one judge panel the scores attained could be used for mobility in level 4 and 5.

Reactions: COz
It looks like one judge is allowed for all compulsory levels, based on what I'm reading in the R&P, although some states have different rules for qualification to states. Most of those state that if there's a one judge panel the scores attained could be used for mobility in level 4 and 5.
And mobility is all i am talking about :)

And mobility is all i am talking about :)

It seems like you're fine then. It doesn't say anything about them needing a particular rating other than compulsory 4/5 either. I would assume that when you set up the sanction and contact the state judging director about getting the judges they would tell you you need two if that's the case. In your case, I would assume that the problem here is that there is likely a minimum number of hours (which will probably be listed in your state's handbook or rules and policies) but for one kid you're not going to take anywhere near that. So to maximize the use of the time, it might make more sense to hire the judge for a "practice meet" have more kids participate and split the cost then the girl who needs her score can still get it.

Your state doesn't have it's own version of the R and P posted, and the chart in the USAG one says $60.15 for three hours for a level 4/5 rated judge. So not much. So plus the $85 sanction it would be about 150 assuming the judge is local. It's more expensive if the judge is rated higher, up to about 90 something for three hours. But I think they will probably assign someone rated 4/5 for something like this or the form gives a space to request someone.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back