Parents I miss my baby girl.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flicfliclay

Proud Parent
So school has been in full effect for sometime now.. as well as new gym hours. I miss my 9 year old little girl! She goes to school and then gym 30 hours a week. (6 days a week).. I feel like we see her so little and when we do it is to cram food down her, do homework, or making sure gym bags are packed and ready for the next day. wahhhhh I miss her like crazy!

This is what drives many people to homeschool....there just aren't enough waking hours in the day to do everything. That being said, I do hope the 30-hrs are temporary. That is too much for 9-yrs old. Our elites do that number, but they're all teens/homeschooled.

This is what drives many people to homeschool....there just aren't enough waking hours in the day to do everything. That being said, I do hope the 30-hrs are temporary. That is too much for 9-yrs old. Our elites do that number, but they're all teens/homeschooled.
No the hours aren't temporary.. and we do not homeschool although she has modified school schedule.. 5 hours of school as opposed to 6-7 hours?

Reactions: sce
Wow, gym 30 hours a week?!? That is a lot. My DD is 11 and training HOPES and she trains 25 hours per week (5 days a week), that's for JO level 9/10 and HOPES. But I do agree about not seeing them, that's what caused me to start coaching at her gym! That and the tuition discount!!
Oh I don't think I'll start coaching! Or homeschooling! Lol!
She's training level 8, but in the HOPEs / Elite training group.

Why 30 hours at 9yo? That sounds like a path to injury and burn-out.
They seem to balance it out very well. They have dance, strength days etc.
we keep a close eye on her and make sure she gets plenty of nutrition and rest on her day off. Also have vacations too!

That is why I pulled my daughter from JO and placed her in Xcel. She was fine with it at first but is now begging for more time in the gym. I might give in, but we will have to figure out a way to balance it so I can see her more and not miss her so much. I probably just need to go to therapy to work on my attachment issues. ;)

That is why I pulled my daughter from JO and placed her in Xcel. She was fine with it at first but is now begging for more time in the gym. I might give in, but we will have to figure out a way to balance it so I can see her more and not miss her so much. I probably just need to go to therapy to work on my attachment issues. ;)
Lol! Now that's funny! I'm sure I could use therapy for many things!

I was just having that same thought about missing my girl. She does 25 hours 5 days a week and she goes to public school (but with a modified early release schedule). We actually have a long commute to gym which is not always so nice, but then I am happy we get that car travel time together. It is tough when they love a sport that demands so much of their time. I would have some difficulty with 6 days a week. With that said when team had off a week, she was so bored and starting to drive us a bit crazy. Best of luck to your DD!​

Reactions: sce
I was just having that same thought about missing my girl. She does 25 hours 5 days a week and she goes to public school (but with a modified early release schedule). We actually have a long commute to gym which is not always so nice, but then I am happy we get that car travel time together. It is tough when they love a sport that demands so much of their time. I would have some difficulty with 6 days a week. With that said when team had off a week, she was so bored and starting to drive us a bit crazy. Best of luck to your DD!​
Isn't that the truth! My daughter had this past Sunday and Monday off and you would think she had been caged for a month! Lol!

Isn't that the truth! My daughter had this past Sunday and Monday off and you would think she had been caged for a month! Lol!
DD had Saturday off and was losing her mind. She made sure I took her to open gym on Friday, and she said "I wish open gym was 4 hours long since I'm not gonna get those on Saturday!"
What kind of kid COMPLAINS that their Saturday is suddenly free??? :D

Good for her. That would not work here.....

She has about 18 hours of stuff/activities a week besides school, just not all gym.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade. These kids are all amazing with the work they put in at gym, but I hope someone can learn from our mistakes! 30 hours in the gym at 9 years old is too many. Our entire team of 9/10 year olds suffered overuse stress fractures due to 30 hours/week and minimal time off. Every one of them, no exaggeration. I would probably blow me off too if your kid is happy and loving it, but they are healthy and cruising along getting skills until all of a sudden they aren't.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade. These kids are all amazing with the work they put in at gym, but I hope someone can learn from our mistakes! 30 hours in the gym at 9 years old is too many. Our entire team of 9/10 year olds suffered overuse stress fractures due to 30 hours/week and minimal time off. Every one of them, no exaggeration. I would probably blow me off too if your kid is happy and loving it, but they are healthy and cruising along getting skills until all of a sudden they aren't.
I don't feel like you are raining on my parade. I value all opinions. I will certainly be watching out for my daughter. They have 6 weeks off through the year plus whatever extra time we take. While it is a lot of hours there are other things they do during practice like dance, strength, trampolines etc

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back