Votes: 1 25.0%
  • try a different sport

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • retire

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
G

gymmonkey13

I am a level 8 gymnast and my 1st meet is in 2 weeks i am super nervouse! I have not done my series on beam in 2 weeks! beam is a struggle for me and i have always have had problems. When i get up their i just freeze up i can do it perfectly on the floor but not the beam! when i dont throw it my coach just freaks out and starts yelling at me. Then she just walks away and gives me the silent treatment. What should i do? :(

Well, just keep working, even if she stops talking to you.
Do lots of timers for series, do them on the floor, a floor beam, or lower beam.
Do higher numbers, like, if you have 10 routines, do 12.
I have had many problems on beam too, especially series, but dont get frustrated, it makes it worse, just keep working!
Good luck!!

i did my first seires today in a month and i was in the same exact situtation as you given the silent treamment froze ect. the one thing that my coach said when i was doing my seires was go and your fine while i was about to do the connection. also visualizatin helps a ton. before you get on the beam vizualize you doing your seires perfectly by itself and in a routines.

Also my coach was saying that you have to want it more than your fear. Your coach is alowed to get mad at you if you dont go for it but if you go for it they can only correct what they see. Another girl on here told me that just go, you wont die doing your seires and you are most likely are not going to have a big crash. Your coach wouldn't be letting you do this series if he/she didnt think you are capable of it. It is all a confidence things and once you decide that you want this more than your fear that is when you are going to be able to go for it. I hope you got some useful info out of this.

when i dont throw it my coach just freaks out and starts yelling at me. Then she just walks away and gives me the silent treatment.

Doesn't sound like you have a very nice coach :( I'm sorry. It doesn't seem very nice of a coach to start yelling at their gymnasts, ever.

About your series, just keep working at it. I tried to do a back handspring on the balance beam for over a year and I just got it last month because I just kept doing it. I'm sure that you could do the same :)

You should go for it, the worst thing that you can do is miss your hands, I did this for the first time at a meet and I am perfectly fine.

Something that my coach always tells me is "Go for it, the only regret you can have is not going for it." She tells me this all the time and I agree, the only thing that you can regret is not going.

Same story here too.
Lvl 8 and I am absolutely TERRIFIED of beam. Not to sound up my self but I'm pretty damn good at everything else! (after lots of convincing by other coaches)
I didn't even know (or maybe I just 'forgot') that I had to do a series this year and I totally freaked out when my coach told me to do it.
I stood up on the beam (which was piled with mats both on top and below it) for about half and hour before I chucked one, which was surprisingly nice...
When I do back tucks, some people have to close their eyes, lol and I almost gave someone a premature stroke once too.
Okay, enough ranting 'bout beam...

I used to have a coach gave me the silent treatment too, and I after I moved gyms I found it was really unfair because I had all this potential that wasn't even looked at!
This is the time when SELF MOTIVATION comes to key, being a loner at school this was pretty easy for me but you really have to BELIEVE IN YOURSELF.
Try chucking one on beam first, and then doing some on floor , then chucking 2 on beam and doing some on floor all the way up until you can do 5 in a row. Do this for about 1 week and then when you feel confident with going for it, you can start working on your technique.
That works for me becausee I'm such a chicken!!! AND it takes me decades to go for something.

I hope everything works out okay for your competition/meet.
Good Luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back