Parents If you knew then what you know now....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I would have to say in the end, yes I would do it all over again. There have been great times when you see your happy child atop the podium and there have been bad times struggling to come back from injuries. There has been pressure and worry, missed social opportunities, not nice girls/coaches, but there has also been lifelong friendships, wonderful coaches and learning and lessons beyond measure. But the real reason I would do this over a million times, is because this sport is her passion in a way that I know nothing else could ever come close. I am in awe of her having a passion for something far greater than I ever had for anything. It has led to some pretty amazing achievements. We are still on the crazy ride and you don’t get to relax in college gym either. But even on the craziest days, I’m glad I registered her for that rec class all those years ago, even if I had no idea what a momentous thing that was at the time.

Yes.

But this has always been her thing and I haven't done anything but support her and facilitate her being able to follow her passion. So I would absolutely do it again.

I'd have signed her up for it sooner if I knew then what I know now -- because I really wasn't terribly supportive at the beginning when she decided that she was going to be a gymnast. I was very hesitant about her doing this, but she has immense drive and is pretty good at it so as long as she loves gymnastics, she will have my support.

I think there is too much stigma put on older girls in gymnastics that it makes it an unlikely choice for many to continue to make. If you’re not at the tippy top levels and legitimately chasing big dreams, the sport as a whole seems to collectively brush you off as not worthy. For instance, states- in our state there is a senior form to fill out for L8 and up. If you’re below L8, I guess they don’t see it as worthy the recognition. I’d argue that a girl who pushed her way through the lower levels at an older age would deserve that little shout out of recognition just as much, and maybe more. Again, I know I’m biased here... we all have our own lenses to see through, but I think maybe teens of all levels feel more welcomed would change the landscape.

We went to a L10 meet last year where only seniors with college commitments were recognized. Only one of the girls from our gym did and the other didn't and I felt bad for her to have to sit through that while being treated like she isn't worthy for recognition (she is accepted to college as a pre-med major!) At Regional, I think they recognize everyone and they all get a gift. This was just a regular season meet so the gym is free to do whatever they want, but still, it would have been nice to recognize all seniors if they were to do anything at all.

Tough one. Part of me says no based on the impact it has had on our family financially as well as basically living separate lives from my husband and son. But the other part of me says yes, absolutely based on what she has accomplished already in this sport and what things are still possible for her.

We went to a L10 meet last year where only seniors with college commitments were recognized. Only one of the girls from our gym did and the other didn't and I felt bad for her to have to sit through that while being treated like she isn't worthy for recognition (she is accepted to college as a pre-med major!) At Regional, I think they recognize everyone and they all get a gift. This was just a regular season meet so the gym is free to do whatever they want, but still, it would have been nice to recognize all seniors if they were to do anything at all.
Really?!?! At our state meet every single senior is recognized during the level 10 awards, whether they are level 10s or not. All of their coaches present them with a gift and one of the judges will say a little something about each girl. I tear up every year even though half the time I don’t even know these girls.

Not a chance.

My daughter is 2 years removed from competing, just short of 2 years since she last trained JO. Her body will never recover from the damage that was done. She is not yet 17 and has a shoulder so damaged she struggles to put on some items of clothes. Her shoulder can dislocate when she does something as simple as run. She will never question an authority figure, no matter how wrong they might be, because that is what her coaches drilled into her head. We're right, you're wrong. And it only cost us a cool $95,000 over 10 years not including any surgeries, physical therapy, or other medical treatments.

Asked my daughter if she'd do it all again, if she has any positive memories left, and all she said is... I wish I'd stuck with soccer.

I would say it's a yes/no. Yes, because she got to do something that she loved almost every day and realized her mental and physical strengths. No, because she had a horrible coach who made her feel inadequate at 9 years old. However, given she's now in middle school and no longer in a JO program, she's much wiser to have participated in this sport. She knows the result of dedication and hard work and she knows how to seek out mentors who will treat her well. And we've all realized gymnastics is something she does, not who she is.

Yes I would but are team is just not that intense their have been times DD has wished we did more. But I think having no expectation of getting to any particular level has made it much more joyful. Nothing else has ever challenged DD at everything else she has been clearly been the best or close to best with little to no effort. At the gym she is pretty average and she gets the chance to fail and that has the been the best thing ever for her.

A month or so ago a friend added me to a Gymnastics Moms FB group. This thread certainly provides an interesting contrast from the many extremely enthusiastic parents of very young gymnasts who post videos, instagram accounts for their preschoolers, and own a ton of home equipment. I wonder how many of us would really start down this path with our children if we had a clear view of what lay ahead?

For myself and my kids it's still too soon for me to know, but I wish I had a crystal ball to find out what I'll think in hindsight when the last competition is over and my kids have hung up their gym bags for the final time.

Very interesting. I am going to have to ask my parents this question and see their responses.

As a retired gymnast I would say absolutely 100x over. I would also say, I wish I started earlier in my life (I started competitive at 9 y/o). I made amazing friends, I learned about my body & training it. I learned cool tricks that was able to transition me into a different activity I loved (cheer). Despite the worn down body/aches & pains at 25 years old... I would say I am still in physically better condition than my peers, as well as better flexibility & overall physical health.

Beyond that, my gym friends are surely friends for life (and I quit gymnastics over 10 years ago...). These are girls that I talk to maybe twice/three times a year. But we always meet for coffees or dinner and catch up. Talk about our lives & jobs & we will occasionally go and watch our clubs home meet (Anyone from Ontario? - You've probably competed at Spring Cup once or twice). Makes me emotional every single year. I wouldn't trade the memories & experience I had in the gym for anything.

After reading this thread - I consider myself incredibly grateful to look back on gymnastics this way. Sad that many girls & families did not have the same experience.

As a parent in the thick of upper optional gymnastics it's hard to decide, but currently I would choose NO, I would not steer my child toward team gymnastics knowing what I know now. My dd is passionate about and dedicated to JO gymnastics, but as a parent I feel it's too much money, too much drama, too hard on their bodies, and they have to sacrifice too much for what they get out of it. Never enough sleep or time to do homework, family activities, outings with friends, or vacations. For goodness sakes, there's even a popular t-shirt that says "I can't, I have gymnastics!" Which is funny, but also sad. My other kids play team sports and it seems much more fun - positive team environment, seasons of play versus year round practices, and opportunities to do other activities. My mind may change when dd retires - which could be this year or through high school or even onto a college team. DD would probably say it's worth it, but I hope she still says that when she's older and looks back on her childhood. Team JO gymnastics has made her a strong and confident young woman, but at what cost?

Yes, totally. One of my kids stopped gym over a year ago, the other is a 16yo level 10. Both gained so much form the sport already. My daughter has gone on to other things but dos not regret all the time in the gym. She loved it for a log time and ti was a great experience. It definitely gave her a good foundation for the other things as well. Among other things, she is now doing wrestling. Talk about a crazy sport. For my son, it is not always easy but he loves it. There is so much to learn form the hours of dedication, goal setting, up and downs.

it's interesting the responses from parents versus gymnasts. actually, many former gymnasts we've asked have told us they would definitely put their own kids in gym. while, as this thread has shown, many parents (especially higher level optionals and elite gymnasts) would not.

it's interesting the responses from parents versus gymnasts. actually, many former gymnasts we've asked have told us they would definitely put their own kids in gym. while, as this thread has shown, many parents (especially higher level optionals and elite gymnasts) would not.

The head coach at my daughter's gym said he felt that he would have failed in his job if his gymnasts didn't want to put their own children in gymnastics some day. He is a fantastic, positive, inspiring coach, and I think if more coaches had that long-term attitude toward their gymnasts the sport might be a happier place.

This is my tenth season as a team mom. There have been some very hard days for sure, and times when I wished they had gone another direction, but overall, it's been a positive experience in my two gymnasts' lives and I've treasured the time I've spent being involved in the sport with them.

I think there is too much stigma put on older girls in gymnastics that it makes it an unlikely choice for many to continue to make. If you’re not at the tippy top levels and legitimately chasing big dreams, the sport as a whole seems to collectively brush you off as not worthy. For instance, states- in our state there is a senior form to fill out for L8 and up. If you’re below L8, I guess they don’t see it as worthy the recognition. I’d argue that a girl who pushed her way through the lower levels at an older age would deserve that little shout out of recognition just as much, and maybe more. Again, I know I’m biased here... we all have our own lenses to see through, but I think maybe teens of all levels feel more welcomed would change the landscape.
I agree they should recognize them regardless of level.

Our seniors of any level get recognition:
1 - If their team hosts a home meet.
2 - At our District Championships.
3 - At Y Nationals, if they choose to attend.

This year, we have 1 senior on our team ... and 4 seniors on the high school team. We have individual "professional" posters of each of these 6 gymnasts hanging on the wall.
The high school girls will have a senior night meet and they will all be recognized and our team senior will be recognized at our February meet.

I have made it a point to make being a senior gymnast special for my DD. I’ve made her a team hoodie that says senior and her graduation year on the back, and I’ve made her a leotard with her college’s name on it and that graduation year on the back. I doubt her coaches would even think of it being a big deal. In their defense, they never have seniors- everyone quits before then. My daughter is at least three grades above all the other kids.

I have made it a point to make being a senior gymnast special for my DD. I’ve made her a team hoodie that says senior and her graduation year on the back, and I’ve made her a leotard with her college’s name on it and that graduation year on the back. I doubt her coaches would even think of it being a big deal. In their defense, they never have seniors- everyone quits before then. My daughter is at least three grades above all the other kids.
Our senior got to pick out her own competition leotard this year. She is the first senior that has made it through to the end since I have been at the gym (April 2006). She didn't start gymnastics until her 9th grade year after several years of dance, but it is still impressive that she stuck with it thru high school.

Our senior got to pick out her own competition leotard this year. She is the first senior that has made it through to the end since I have been at the gym (April 2006). She didn't start gymnastics until her 9th grade year after several years of dance, but it is still impressive that she stuck with it thru high
Our senior got to pick out her own competition leotard this year. She is the first senior that has made it through to the end since I have been at the gym (April 2006). She didn't start gymnastics until her 9th grade year after several years of dance, but it is still impressive that she stuck with it thru high school.
My DD got to choose her own leo this year too! The old one didn’t fit anymore and the HC just let us buy whatever we wanted in the team colors!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back