I'm so Confused about Flyaways !

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
Hi all,
Someone just told me that a flyaway dismount on uneven bars is a 1/2 somersault, but wouldn't that end up to landing on your face!? Can someone clarify this skill for me?
Thanks!

I don't know the technically correct answer to this, but I'm imagining that the first part of the somersault is actually in the swing before you let go, so perhaps they are not counting that part, just the part after you let go of the bar. However, I don't think you're fully inverted when you let go, so I would have thought it was actually more than a half.

if you get up to a nice candle position in your swing then let go, you are pretty much half way around already. So performed with proper technique and proper swings yes it really is only a half

if you get up to a nice candle position in your swing then let go, you are pretty much half way around already. So performed with proper technique and proper swings yes it really is only a half

very good hawaii! ^^^^^^^^^^:)

yes, technically it is only a half flip, because think of your timing when you let go of the bar, your back is facing the ground, and when your coming down to land, your stomach is facing the ground. to make it a full flip, you would have to over rotate to your back.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back