Parents Improved scores with gym switch

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

curlymomof3

Proud Parent
Hello all! I have finally decided to make the dreaded gym switch for Dd after dragging my feet and hoping her coaches would prove me wrong.

Dd is competing Level 4 and is just barely hitting 31 at the meets. This is after a year of being told that she would "score out" of level 4 and compete level 5 this fall by a previous coach that is no longer at the gym. I was excited by the prospect of her doing 2 levels in a season and decided to stick it out at her current gym even though I questioned the coaches' ability to get her there.

Now after attending a few meets and realizing that most of our team is terrible at bars and vault, I am finally accepting the fact that the coaches are in over their heads.

We have a couple gyms we are considering for Dd, but I would really love to hear stories of gym switches and improvements in skills/scores. Is it normal for coaches to be able to coach stellar floor and beam routines but struggle on the bars and vault? I am hoping that this is the problem and moving to a better gym will help Dd. Am I being realistic?

If you're wondering "does my dd just not 'get it' on bars and vault' or is it the coaches?" You can figure this out by looking at the rest of the team and how they score at meets compared to their peers at other clubs. If her team's average bar and vault scores are a few tenths from the average for the meet, meet in and meet out, you can figure the bar and vault coaching is a little weak but within the realm of reasonable. If you see an average that exceeds 2-3 tenths you can figure bars and vault will be a long term struggle for the entire team with the rare exception of a gifted kid.

I'd say you need to figure out whether the weak bar and vault scores are due to a new coach who's getting better all the time, or is this area a long term problem.

Sure a coach can be good on beam and floor while seeming lost on bars and vault. This is particularly true if the coach leans heavily on dance elements, when crafting beam and floor routines, to compensate for their lack of tumbling knowledge.

You'll have to wait for others' stories on whether their gym change helped or not.

Dds first coach was a young new to coaching gal who was learning as she and the team went along so when dd saw at States how well her team mate who left for a gym with more experienced coaches did she wanted to switch (she was 7 years old at the time L 4). Look at how well the team places on each event in team part section on mymeetscore.com at some of your meets. Also what does your dd think?

Ps dd did switch to her current gym and has been with her coaches for 5 years now and is really happy and doing well.

I have seen gyms which overall are strong are 2 events and not strong on the other 2. Just keep in mind that after you thoroughly check out any potential gyms, that you look at the overall picture and approach it as a long term goal. And be prepared that if your DD is barely scoring a 31 AA, a stronger gym will probably have her move down a level. Don't get discouraged if you know this gym has better success and will lay a better foundation for a more successful future.

We changed gyms this year and both of my DD's are scoring better this year than they did last year. They are both "up" one level from last year (as in, with the levels changes, they stayed the same number if you KWIM). Since they are scoring better than last year even with moving up, I assume they would be scoring *really* well if they had repeated their levels (which was a possibility at the old gym). I'm really optimistic for next year. This year they finished their first season as AAU in April, we switched gyms in June and they started competing in August. They had just about no uptraining at the the old gym, so they managed to get everything in just a few months. Now, they are about to do their state meets and then will have until next August to learn everything for the next level - they have never had such a long time to learn everything!

The gym we are currently at is in a "rebuilding" stage and level 4 is the highest level. The coaches are learning as they go and I believe that is why the scores are so low. At our first meet, only a few girls had their kips; most had to be spotted . It was quite embarrassing! Basically our team has high 8s/9s on beam and floor and 7s and some 6s on bars and vault. The main coach has a tumbling/cheerleading background and I think this might be why our floor scores are so high.

The gym is also lacking in higher level equipment, such as foam pits. Another reason why I am looking to move.

I guess one of the main reasons why I am asking about scores is because I have 2 gym options to pick one. There is an amazing gym 30 minutes away or just an "average" one 10 minutes from my house. I would love to know if it would be worth it to make that drive, based on others' experiences with gym changes. Will that amazing gym really make a difference??

The gym we are currently at is in a "rebuilding" stage and level 4 is the highest level. The coaches are learning as they go and I believe that is why the scores are so low.[/B]

There is an amazing gym 30 minutes away

Ok if your current gym is in a "rebuilding phase" and the highest level is 4, I 'm not at all surprised with how she is scoring...and you need to decide if you want to be a part of this rebuilding phase OR (what I would do if I thought my kid was going to do this for the long haul) move to the amazing gym 30 minutes away so you don't have to move again...

We switched gyms at the end of May (right after state) because of a move. At my daughter's old gym, she had a good season and a 38 AA at state in old Level 4. They said that they were on the fence about moving her up to New 4 for this season (they like to win...). Like I said, we moved because of work. When she got to her new gym, she was WAY behind because her old gym did not uptrain AT ALL. This gym also does a LOT more conditioning. But they seemed confident in her. I was a little worried, I have to admit. After all, she didn't have her kip, cartwheel on beam, hand spring vault, OR double back hand spring! But she got all of her new level 4 skills within a matter of weeks. She is now in the advanced group and WELL beyond those skills.. training back tucks on floor, cast hand stands, giants w/ the strap bar, BWO and BHS on beam, etc. She is rocking it! I can't even imagine her still being at her old gym and going backwards into Level 3... it sounds crazy! So my advice is to go with your gut. But make sure that you make the right decision.. it would stink to switch gyms and end up in the same position. :(

IMO, I would change gyms; but the decision to go to the 10 minute away or 30 minute away gym would take a little more thought for me. My DS is in gymnastics as well as both DDs. So that limits us somewhat in the gyms we can go to since I'm not willing to go to two different gyms if I can avoid it. For us, with that requirement, we are knocked down to 5 gyms within the realm of possibilities. Of those, 2 really are further than I want to drive (easily an hour each way without bad traffic, could go up to 1.5 hours+ each way for traffic). 1 is the gym the kids were at last year that we decided to leave. So that leaves the other 2 (I'll call them A and B). Gym A is closer, has boys and girls and many would argue is one of the best girls' teams in our area. So it would seem a no brainer to go there. BUT... I have had quite a few friends who have had their kids there. All of the parents have complained about the parent/coach relationships. All of them have complained that it is too intense. And as of a few weeks ago, all but one of the girls I have known that went there have either completely dropped gymnastics or have quite team/preteam to go back to rec because it was just too intense. The one girl still there is only on pretty early pre-team, so hasn't started hitting the hours that the other girls were having and it isn't as "serious" yet. Also, I haven't heard the best things about their boys' team.

So... we drive past that gym and keep going for 15 - 20 minutes further to get to the gym that we are at now. Some of the coaches are a bit on the intense side; but there are others who balance them out. The hours for the levels seem to be reasonable for our family (9 hours for level 2, 10 for level 3 and 12 for DS who is level 5). My kids all adore gymnastics and have never once asked to skip practice. I just couldn't see putting them in an environment where their friends who once were as passionate about gymnastics as my kids, started to dread going and decided to quit because they couldn't take it. All by no later than 4th grade. Our new gym scores well; but not as well as gym A. They do have kids who have gotten college scholarships and win at states though, and that is good enough for me.

Generally speaking, if you're asking the question, it's probably time to make a switch. Gym changes are never easy though (friendships are left behind, training techniques are different, etc.). Almost always the outcome of a gym changes are viewed favorably (that was definitely our experience when we switched).

Temper expectations though - I've seen a number of gymnasts move to the "superior" gym down the road and not see their scores skyrocket. The really good gymnasts at the "lesser" gym are generally still really good at the new gym and probably in a better place to grow long term. However, a gymnast who lacks strength to do bars must still build that strength at the new gym.

If you have a choice, I wouldn't have my kids train at a gym without coaches that had trained upper level optionals before, preferably many....and has the equipment to do so (pits, etc...). BUT I also would like to point out that new 4/old 5 has tons of harder skills than 3/4...and its not uncommon for girls to do well in 3/4 then take time to gain the skills/scores in 4/5 (wait until new 5/old 6...if your team does it...notorious in old 6 days for girls to significantly drop in scores there...) Scores at these levels don't reflect directly on optional skills later on, many times...especially in BARS...where long lean kiddos can do great at lower levels and struggle with the higher level strength based skills....

So...if rebuilding means they previously had lots of optionals, know how to train them (mentally, emotionally and physically) and expected this year to be one of lower scores while the girls get stronger....that's part of the sport...otherwise look for the combination of higher level training and happy gymnasts....and pick between the 2 gyms that way - IMHO (and I have kids at 2 different gyms 15 minutes apart in order to have that combo for DD and DSs....so I have been there...)

BUT I also would like to point out that new 4/old 5 has tons of harder skills than 3/4...and its not uncommon for girls to do well in 3/4 then take time to gain the skills/scores in 4/5
Thanks for the reminder! I expected a more difficult season for Dd thanks to what I have read on CB. But when only 1 out of 10 girls can do consistent low and high bar kips after a year of practicing them, I am concerned. Also, this is the 3rd set of coaches Dd has had in the 2 years she has been on team and they will probably not be around for much longer (based on what a previous coach told us). The prior optional coaches left for another gym, as did all their gymnasts. The current coaches have never coached gymnastics before and are learning as they go. At this point I wish that I would have listened to all of you sooner and left the gym early in the year.

Another obstacle with the "amazing gym" is that I would need to pull Dd out of school a little bit early to get there on time. It would only be about 10-15 minutes, but it is something to consider in the bigger picture. When/if she makes it to optionals, she will need to be there even earlier and I would have to pull her out an hour early.

beam and floor workers are a dime a dozen. even in good gyms. if the kids can't tumble they usually can't vault. and bars are just a...well...they're bars. :)

How old is your dd? I would have her evaluated at the amazing gym and, based upon their evaluation and their philosophy, determine if you think it would be a good fit for your dd. I would be completely open with them and get their thoughts on whether they think the longer drive is worth it for your dd, given that there is a closer alternative. Regardless of whether or not you end up at this gym, I think it's time for a change.

She is 9 years old. One of her teammates just moved to the other gym and has improved tremendously so we are hoping she has the same experience :) They seem to do more conditioning and drills where our coaches do more repetition until you get it.

. The current coaches have never coached gymnastics before and are learning as they go. At this point I wish that I would have listened to all of you sooner and left the gym early in the year. .

Ok this alone would have me out the door....I'm not saying coaches don't need to start somewhere but if all your coaches are on this learning curve, it wouldn't work for me....

I'd make the 30 min drive to the better gym. You don't want to keep switching gyms. Further, a better gym will develop the athlete from its foundation. My daughter developed some bad habits coming from a not so good gym. She switched as an L9 and a year later is still trying to undo some bad habits. A girl from her old gym also switched as an L10. Had only 2 years with her new gym. Got a walk on to a college team but was released second year because they had to redo so many habits the first year. She was only allowed to do giants in bars the first year. Get the training right from the start.

As far as scores, I too am very anxious to find out how it will affect me daughter's scores at the new gym. She did very well at her old gym. Her scores were always high 36s and 37s. This year will be her real first season with her new team. Of course L9 is a more difficult. But I still wonder how the gym switch will affect her scores or her gymnastics in the long run. What is good though is she's happy at her new gym and is safe.

I agree with bookworm in her post above. If L4 is the highest level, your daughter may run the risk of repeating levels just so the coaches can get their acts straight. Research both gyms thoroughly. Visit the gyms and get a feel of the coaching. Ten minutes is tempting but nothing can substitute for good coaching, especially if it is only 30 mins. Away.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back