Invitational vrs "Normal" meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Deanna

Moderator/Proud Parent
Proud Parent
I have a question. DD has a meet next weekend. Its and invitational meet. Is there a difference in this meet vrs a "normal" meet?
I know when I was in high school and played in the band. (yes i was a band nerd..lol), we had both kinds of meets. Now Im not certain, but from my perspective the only difference in these "meets" was the way you went about being there. A "normal" meet anyone who wanted to attend, could, as long as they followed the guidelines for such. The invitationals you had to either literly be invited :)rolleyes:) or petition for a spot to compete. Once all that was said and done, it appeared to be the same from that point.
Are the invitational meets the same way, or is the meet itself different? Just wondering. Im a very curious person, sorry if my questions seem silly.

Last edited:
"Invitational" is just a way to refer to meets that aren't qualifiers or meets you qualify for (such as states, regionals, nationals). Basically all of the meets during the regular season are technically invitationals but it's just a name. You don't really have to be invited in gymnastics. Gyms just register for the meets they want to go to.

Usually an invitational is a bigger meet as far as number of gymnasts. You don't have to do anything special to compete---just pay the meet fee. I've also seen the name invitational used for what would be a smaller meet held at the host gym. I think people think it sounds more impressive.

BTW--I was a bandie too!

I know when I was in high school and played in the band. (yes i was a and nerd..lol), we had both kinds of meets.
Deanna, just wanted to say that I am also a former-band-geek-turned-gymnastics-mom (and trying to figure all of this out as I go along). We're headed off to an "invitational" tomorrow as well. Best of luck to your DD!

Thanks ladies. I really had no idea if/what the difference is/was. Sorry the meet is NEXT weekend. My days all run into each other sometimes. I forgot we havent made it through THIS weekend yet..lol. Like you all know im so new to this all still..so I have alot of questions. Most I keep to myself (arent you all happy?..lol). I figured if there WAS a difference it would be more laid back. Oh well, I guess just like anything else one persons idea is different than anothers. So who knows which it will be. MaryA, good luck to your DD tomorrow.

well in my daughters gym they belong to a league with other gyms maybe 8 they have 4 leaque meets they seem to be more low key and I know they are cheaper. They also do not medal out as many places. They also go to invitationals I believe the cost is greater the meet venues are usually nicer nad they give out a lot more medals and lots of partcipation gifts. I usually like the invitationals better but it is actually nice to be able to do both. I think it keeps the costs down and because we compete againest the same gyms daughter has gotten a chance to become friendly with girls from the other gyms since they see each other everyyear and they are usually in the same levels.

The only difference in USAG is either Sanctioned or Unsanctioned. Sanctioned meets can be used to qualify for the next level event (ie. local qualifier/invitational can qualify for sectionals, sectionals can qualify for states, etc) Unsanctioned is more for fun and cant use scores to qualify for things. There is like a 120 page document that states what you can charge, what you have to have for awards (just ribbons, medals, trophies etc) you can look it over here http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/docs/Women/Rules/Rules%20and%20Policies/2009_2010_w_rulespolicies.pdf

If I remember correctly too my old gym told me that the invitational (which is just a fancy local meet usually bigger and usually more fun) they can charge more but have to have more stuff given away. Like trophies are required, medals are required, gymnast gifts worth a least a specific dollar value are require (goodie bags given to the gymnast usually at end of meet) etc

These requirements have some flexability as some required items can be set by the state committee.

According to USAG any of the following can apply to be a sanctioned meet
1. Local meets, clinics, dual meets, tri-meets of a local nature.

2. Pre-Sectional Qualifiers,
Sectional meets - qualifying meets hosted under the supervision of the USAG

State Administrative Committee.
3. State, Regional - events hosted under supervision of USAG State or Regional Administrative Committee.
4. National - events hosted under the supervision of the USA Gymnastics Director of Events and/or the
Women's Program Director or Jr. Olympic Program Director.
5. ANY Invitational competition, workshop or clinic involving current U. S. National Team Members.
6. International - ANY meets involving gymnasts from other countries

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back