WAG Irritating Meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

krisnkids

Proud Parent
So my 13yo gymmie had her first meet back in 4 years. She did a great job, scoring was horribly inconsistent, see the other thread about a child landing on her back doing a bhs and getting a 7.1, and this was a Judges Cup! You would think that it would set the bar high for the season, which I'm used to because gymmie used to compete in California but heck no. Dd did an outstanding bar routine and got an 8.9, to the point of on her dismount her feet were pointed at the high bar when she released. Her teammate who came after her who fell on her fhc, first meet, bent knes, no rhythm etc, got a 8.0. Yeah, inconisistent. Anywho, can't do much about that.

However the seating was one of the worst situations I have seen at a meet. This gym is HUGE, I'm talking 6 sets of bars, 6 beams for team alone, tumble track, rod floor, 3 vault runways.... you get the idea. At gyms in Cali that I was part of the hosting team we would purposely make the meet as parent friendly as possible. Seating where you can see your gymmie, scores put where you can actually see them, etc. You could not see where they flashed the scores consistently, you couldn't even see the vaults because you were above them, to see them you had to go down to the one set of bleachers they had available.

Please tell me that this is not the norm in the midwest!

I'm almost certain you are describing the Judges Cup my daughter attended. Was it at a gym whose name starts with an L?

If so, you are right! OUr coach is exceptionally professional and NEVER complains about scores. She was livid after seeing the bar scores at this meet.

Our parents were frustrated with the floor flasher. I do think that if you are going to have a young child flash scores, there needs to be an older gymnast to make sure they stay on task. There were several times that we would see no scores for a couple of gymnasts.

I don't remember the name of the gym associated with those leos but I remember the leos. I don't know that our gym qualifies as a powerhouse in this state. It isn't one of the big two for sure. I think we have a solid reputation though. One thing I have noticed, especially from some of the gyms with huge numbers is that they compete girls at levels that would not be allowed at our gym.

Our coach will not allow a gymnast to compete 4 without a consistent, solid ROBHS. One of our 4s is repeating because her ROBHS isn't strong enough to put the second BHS she needs for 5. I understand that it probably is hard to tell a girl that she has to repeat a level because of one or two skills, but just for the safety of the gymnasts, I'm so glad that our coach does.

I forgot to add how horribly they split the divisions. One division (in the same session) had 4 girls while another one had 17!

I forgot to add how horribly they split the divisions. One division (in the same session) had 4 girls while another one had 17!

we have always been to meets where the divisions are fairly evenly distributed but I have been surprised looking up some meets on my meet scores where the divisions must be by age and not by the number of girls in that particular level. The midle group might have 30+ girls and the other groups less then 15. weird.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back