Is This POSSIBLE?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay, so for 2 years, I have been complaining non-stop about my lack of leg flexibility, and so have my coaches. I have an extremely flexible back, but no matter how much I stretched, my splits just didn't go down farther! I was about 1 ft off the ground for my center split (12 whole inches!) and 4 inches off the ground for my right and left leg splits.

Yesterday, everything changed.

First I stretched for my right split, and went down 2 more inches than normal! I was actually really close to the ground! And I was even closer in my left leg split- which is weird, because usually my right leg is better.

But... that's not the best part.

Then I went ahead to do my center split, preparing for failure once again. I forgot to stretch for it, so I just slid right in...

And I was only 3 inches off the ground. 3 INCHES! From 12 inches to 3 inches in ONE DAY!!!!!

What could have CAUSED this? Ballet has helped my splits a lot, since I'm in a high level and every single move requires excelled flexibility. But it couldn't have done that in just one day. Has this ever happened to you, your friends or your kids, and, if so, do you know why?

No clue. Stuff like that just happens. In pre-competitive, we were complaining about how bad our spilts were and I go "Look how horrible my right leg spilts are! It's the only one not down!". So I slide down, lo and behold, I was down to the ground like I was doing it for years.

This happened to me as well! My right and left splits were nearly flat, but my middles and straddle stretch (trying to get stomach to the floor) weren't particularly good. No matter how hard I tried they just wouldn't go! Oh and they hurt a lot too. One day I was doing some conditioning at home and went to stretch my straddle and I just laid my chin on my hands, stomach completely flat on the floor! It took me a second to realize what I'd just done and then I was ecstatic :) I went on to try my middle splits and I slid so much farther down, to the point where I could actually lie on my stomach instead of propping myself up on my elbows.
To this day my right and left splits have improved a bit, but I'm nearly flat in my middles splits and it is very rare that I actually get sore muscles in those splits. They just don't seem to hurt the same way, it's lovely!!

So yes, it's possible. THANK GOD ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back