WAG Is this true??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I really think it can depend on what you are used to as well. D might swim for a bit the day before a meet, but really, only enough to get wet and relax before bed. But he really doesn't swim a lot in general, is not a super strong swimmer, so it can be draining for him. However, last year at Whitlow, he competed Sunday morning....we did Universal all day Friday, and spent the morning at the pool on Saturday, then went to downtown disney Saaturday night. He did pretty good after that too. I do think a balance is good, and maybe coaches just say no because it is easier than trying to explain it to parents

When we get rooms the night before a meet, we specifically choose one WITH an indoor pool and hot tub. The girls go back and forth between the pool (to cool down) and the hot tub (to warm up). When we are done, we go back to the room and they each get a hot shower. Makes bedtime go SOOOOOOOO much smoother. 5 minutes of "back tickles" instead of 20-30 minutes and YG is out for the night!
Also, in our experience, the hotel stay HELPS their scores the next day.

I've heard this for years, but I don't really believe in the given justification. It's kind of an old wives tale. That said with the way I've seen the kids play in the hotel pools, getting injured falling on concrete before the meet is much more likely to be an issue. Might be best to save it for after the meet for those reasons.

imagine that! 2015 and this "old wives tale" just won't die. YIKES :)

I don't want my kids out in the sun or swimming the day of a meet because I do t want them tired. But that's it. If they want to soak the night prior then go for it.

I will admit that for beach travel meets I have to really watch my kids in the sun; but that is because they have super fair skin and I know they won't wear their leos if they get sunburned! No matter how much sunscreen we use, they always get at least a bit of sun burn the first few times out at a beach. For that reason I prefer to have extra days AFTER a meet if possible.

imagine that! 2015 and this "old wives tale" just won't die. YIKES :)

So this is a thing that's been around for awhile? I'd never heard of it before.

Boy, I thought the superstition about having girls wear those elastic waistbands was absurd, but this one takes it up a notch.

We've been to a meet in an area famous for all the water park resorts. I think it was called The Vacation Classic. I have to believe the strategy was for the host gym to invite all the visiting teams up, wine and dine us and open up their water parks to our gymnasts for a weekend, exhausting our children and then beating the Leos off them. Very good stategy, our girls experienced some of the lowest scores of their careers and they kicked our butts. Who cares though!! Funnest meet weekend ever.

So this is a thing that's been around for awhile? I'd never heard of it before.

Boy, I thought the superstition about having girls wear those elastic waistbands was absurd, but this one takes it up a notch.

What is the deal with those? Neither of dds have ever used them; but I have seen them in YouTube videos. Someone said they are to remind the kid to pull their belly in?

I haven't heard that about baths but I did hear that about swimming. My Dd was taking swim lessons prior to gymnastics & I could see she was struggling at gym but just figured it was being tired. I was just chatting with a coach & she said not to swim before gym but gym before swim was fine. Of course, her swim lessons were scheduled before gym for a while, so we had to wait it out. There's no rule about this at our gym though. What cinched it for us was that our Dd scored great in AA last year for the majority of meets. For state, we decided to spend the night at a hotel prior to the meet. It had an indoor pool & the kids swam the night before the state meet. At the meet the next day, Things she never had issues with, she did have that day. It only dawned on me later about the swimming, so while it's not a rule with our gym, it's a rule for our dd. I can't imagine baths would do the same thing, unless they stayed and "swam" in the tub? My dd has a bath every night so I'm going to say that's not an issue.

When we travel for meets and there is a pool, we are advised not to swim RIGHT before the meet, or at least not get our hands TOO wet because it'll make them prone to ripping, but I believe that the night before wouldn't be an issue.

Some of my dd best scores/meets have been after swimming the night before. :) I think it releases nervous energy.

Also doesn't ballet do the elasic waistbands too?

What is the deal with those? Neither of dds have ever used them; but I have seen them in YouTube videos. Someone said they are to remind the kid to pull their belly in?

At the gym where I took rec classes as a kid, the team girls wore those elastic waistbands. Their names were painted on them, so I always assumed they wore them so the coaches wouldn't have to memorize their names.

They also wore wristbands with tape over them, some kind of weird ankle braces that had to be taped on, beam shoes, and parachute pants.

We don't have a swimming rule at our gym, and a few gymnasts do swim the night before a meet, and do fine the next day.

I think it depends on the individual. If a kid is a skilled swimmer, it is not likely that swimming will affect him or her. If swimming is difficult, or if the person doesn't have much swimming experience, it is likely to fatigue him or her.

Slips and falls on the pool deck, or bumps in the head against the walls or bottom of the pool might not help performance the next day, though! Maybe if they didn't get too crazy.....

I was a competitive swimmer, and I loved how the evening workouts completely spent me. I got great sleep that night! I can't remember being fatigued the next morning, though. Then again, I was used to swimming.

I think this is the rule with DS's gym. Haven't stayed in a hotel yet though, though there's one coming up next month.

Hot water would delay muscle recovery, is my understanding.

DD probably has a similar rules but since she will likely always have swum 2000-3000 yards within 24 hours of any meet, I would not be in compliance.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back