Jenny Hansen Elite Comeback at age 38!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I had the pleasure of meeting her recently and watched her practice. I can't believe how much she has learned since her last minute foray into elite last spring. In terms of skills she's absolutely up there in the with top in the country with bars being the last thing to come around. I think she's going to be the next surprise post-college (haha 15 years post-NCAA 3x champ!) Mohini/ Annia Hatch/ Anna Li style contributor to the US team. I plan to do a feature on her for my site in the next week. In the meantime, I'm loving the support she's getting on her Facebook page and how she is responding to her supporters! Love to see the gymnastics community supporting the underdog. :cheerful:

Jenny Hansen | Facebook

This is fabulous, there is no reason why girls should retire from the sport in their early 20's, women do not reach their peak physical fitness until their 30's. And they can maintain themselves in peak physical condition into their 40's, so in all reality a 38 year old gymnast should be far superior to a 16 year old gymnast.

But the sport is very hard on the body injuries and constant pounding on the bodies forces these girls into early retirement. The sport is very time demanding too and once kids are out establishing their lives elite training becomes less realistic.

If time was put into researching how we could better care for our gymnasts and increase their career length, girls could stay at the top of their game for decades. But few coaches would be prepared to follow the advice because it would mean dramatically dropping kids training hours before and during puberty.

they should have started studying Chuso when she hit 30...:)

and to think that i have known her since she was 12...whew...:)

Wow- as a six year old you must have been really impressed by an older woman!;)

Dd got to meet 'Chuso" at Svetlana's camp a few years ago and was thoroughly impressed with her. What a great role model for our girls! I'm thrilled for them to see that they remain worthy of respect for their gymnastic accomplishments throughout their lives.

This is fabulous, there is no reason why girls should retire from the sport in their early 20's, women do not reach their peak physical fitness until their 30's. And they can maintain themselves in peak physical condition into their 40's, so in all reality a 38 year old gymnast should be far superior to a 16 year old gymnast.

But the sport is very hard on the body injuries and constant pounding on the bodies forces these girls into early retirement. The sport is very time demanding too and once kids are out establishing their lives elite training becomes less realistic.

If time was put into researching how we could better care for our gymnasts and increase their career length, girls could stay at the top of their game for decades. But few coaches would be prepared to follow the advice because it would mean dramatically dropping kids training hours before and during puberty.

Is that true about physical peak in the 30s? That gives me a lot to look forward to in this sport!!!(If my knee can handle it!). I think it's great Jenny Hansen is still out there, she is a great inspiration to us "old" people!

What a great attitude you have! I wish more coaches had that attitude. I think the main problem with continuing to be a serious athlete into adulthood (at least in the US) is the cost. It's so expensive to pay for travel, training and pay rent. I think that's why so many of the male athletes come out of the college programs. It make being a "professional" athlete more affordable.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back