WAG Judgement from others

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just tell DD to show them her 'guns' and they are usually so in awe they shut up.

Guns means her beautiful arms muscles for those who aren't familiar with the term

@berrisweetness : IDP = International Development Program.

(I've only just got my head around this, so if I make any mistakes I'm sure someone will jump in and correct me.)

The Australian system has
SS = State Stream (not all states have this and this may change anyway, there is a post somewhere where the proposed changes are mentioned)
NDP = National Development Program
IDP = International Development Program

In Australia you can't train, train then keep going until you make Elite. To have any change to compete internationally you must be in the IDP program and for this you have to be selected at a young age.

If you search for posts containing IDP and NDP by Aussie_coach you'll find a lot of detailed explanations about this.

I see a lot of judgement flying around when people get to talking about extracurriculars too. Like I put my kid in gymnastics at 3 because I thought she'd be a great Olympian one day. Please, people, she was active and they took 3 year olds! It's just a happy accident that she's really good at it! And I'd rather have a very busy kid.

I usually don't tell people the hours my dd trains at the gym. It's really not that many for her level anyway, compared to other gyms, but people still seem shocked. Instead I say she goes 3-4 days a week and that doesn't seem so crazy to them. When pushed further, I will tell them that there is also a lot of standing around in line, stretching, warm up, watching demonstrations, rotating to other events, etc...
I might stick to that plan too

I refuse to minimize my daughter's dedication to this sport. If someone tries to criticize the choices that she makes and I support, I can shut it down very quickly.

If someone talks about her having a "normal" childhood, I can counter with she is having a "special" childhood. If someone talks about her being a normal kid, I can counter with normal these days equals lots of screen time so no thank you. Why take "normal" when you can have extraordinary??? These kids are extraordinary!

When she becomes a teenager, I pray to every deity known to man that she is very much abnormal. I teach teenagers. I know what "normal" means. Again, no thank you.
You know I watch the teenagers train and think, I hope to hell my daughter is still training when she is that age because its better than that than hanging out at the mall!

SWOLE as in swollen. Big muscles.

Jacked as in shredded as in rippling muscles while lean. 6 pack abs, guns for biceps and traps like a bull neck.

Tanned as in bodybuilders who love getting tanned.

Basically it's something to just ridicule other parents and that teacher.
Got it - I shall recite and repeat so I have gotten it right lol. Is there hand actions and had side to side when you say it for effect? LMFA could you imagine my older daughter would die of embarrassment if I started speaking that cool ;)

Judgements like this irritate me. Personally, I just smile and gush about how lucky we are that DD has found something to love, how fantastic it is that she is so active all year long, and how grateful I am that she won't be hanging with the wrong crowd when she becomes a teenager. Usually I follow this with the question "Oh and what does little Timmy do to keep active and healthy?!".

I'm subtle like that.

haha my daughter is 11 1/2 and trains 21 hours a week. When asked if she has a boyfriend (yes there are 6th graders dating???) I reply she can have one when shes 22 and no longer in the gym . Besides she is so beautiful and confident I think the boys are afraid of her sixpack.

haha my daughter is 11 1/2 and trains 21 hours a week. When asked if she has a boyfriend (yes there are 6th graders dating???) I reply she can have one when shes 22 and no longer in the gym . Besides she is so beautiful and confident I think the boys are afraid of her sixpack.

At a meet we went to recently, John Roth was killing time at awards and asked the girls what their boyfriend's name was. He interrupted them and said "jim" and his last name is "nastics". Totally cracked up!

At a meet we went to recently, John Roth was killing time at awards and asked the girls what their boyfriend's name was. He interrupted them and said "jim" and his last name is "nastics". Totally cracked up!

Hey I love this. Another very serious plus for doing gymnastics. Girl power!!!!!

This is kind of related but it's getting judged by other people in the gym community.
My mom was talking to two mothers whose daughters are level 5s. They asked about what injuries I had when I was doing gymnastics and my mom nonchalantly goes, "My daughter had enough concussions that she wasn't allowed to do gymnastics anymore." They are totally judging my mom, and then she goes, "And she can't run anymore because her knee is all torn up."

They totally judged my mom for letting me do gymnastics but to my credit, I was totally injury free until I got to level 9 and not all of the concussions were from gymnastics!

My DD's school teacher told her that gymnastics isnt important but school is. Made my DD cry cause she adores this sport. Just because she didnt get to finish a homework paper because she was at gym. now we only for 6 hours a week right now, but the days we have practice, as soon as she gets off the bus, she gets home, eats, does some of her homework (and im sorry but the homework they give a 2nd grader is ridiculous! I cant even understand half of it), gets changed into her leo, and gets her hair done. so excuse me she cant finish all of her homework, and when we get home, its late, she eats dinner and goes to bed. I told my DD to tell the teacher if she has anything else to say about gymnastics, to call me. Ill tell her where to "stick it" haha.

I adore the people who suggest you give your gymnast a normal childhood. Well really, what normal child doesn't have some silly dream.... That's what's normal, and learning life lessons.

I can't remember coaching a single kid who wasn't normal. Sure, some of them were exceptional within the sport of gymnastics, but completely normal in all other respects but dating. So what if the got a late start. If you ask me, they are far more prepare to make good choices, and to make fewer mistakes.

I think I would be much more judgemental of a parent who allowed their 6 year old to watch 9-12 hours of television a week or spend 9-12 hours on their computers and technology. yet, that is now a societal norm.

lol and so they should be

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back