WAG Judging MAGA or High School

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aileenmaryf

Coach
Gymnast
Okay so this might be a stretch, but I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who is a judge in the MAGA program (Midwest Amateur Gymnastics Association)? I am interested learning how to judge but I have no clue how to get into that. I am a high school coach and I think it would help me have a better sense for the rules. I would like to start out judging MAGA but I am interested in high school judging too.

So my question is, how do you get into judging? I have looked at the MAGA website but there is NO information on judging. Do they get certified as a high school judge? I know they have pretty much the same rules, but you would think there would be some information out there.

your kidding? if you want to Judge you contact NAWGJ in the state where you reside.

MAGA can't help you...unless you have a gymnastics team that competes in
WI, MN, IA, SD and outside of USA Gymnastics. they are just another group that exists like AAU, USAIGC, Amerikids, etc;

Her question isn't ridiculous. Where I am, high school judging is a separate and distinct entity. While many judges choose to do both high school and JO, the process to becoming a high school judge is a different one- complete with a much easier (and less expensive) process. No need for NAWGJ fees, uniforms, USAG membership/safety cert./background check, etc. It's much more cost effective for those wishing to test the waters of judging and see if it is something they want to pursue through USAG.

I have no idea how MAGA works, but for high school, check your state high school sports association website. For my state, there is a page with officials (listed for all sports). From there, you can find both the state judging director as well as those who coordinate judges in different geographic regions who will be able to give you information on testing dates (I think late fall is the test date where I am) as well as make sure you have the correct materials to study for the test.
Good luck!

your kidding? if you want to Judge you contact NAWGJ in the state where you reside.

MAGA can't help you...unless you have a gymnastics team that competes in
WI, MN, IA, SD and outside of USA Gymnastics. they are just another group that exists like AAU, USAIGC, Amerikids, etc;

No, I am not kidding.... I have a high school team that competes in that area and the only clubs I have coached at have done MAGA gymnastics. I was specifically asking because I have NO EXPERIENCE with USAG gymnastics. The club I did gymnastics in was a MAGA gym. They follow the high school rules for many Midwestern states. At this point in time I have no interest in having anything to do with USAG gymnastics. Learning to judge MAGA will help me get a feel for the rules my high school team uses and therefore they can get the most out of their routines.

THANK YOU to coachmolly for helpful comments!
Her question isn't ridiculous. Where I am, high school judging is a separate and distinct entity. While many judges choose to do both high school and JO, the process to becoming a high school judge is a different one- complete with a much easier (and less expensive) process. No need for NAWGJ fees, uniforms, USAG membership/safety cert./background check, etc. It's much more cost effective for those wishing to test the waters of judging and see if it is something they want to pursue through USAG.

That's what I was thinking as far as why I would like to judge MAGA. It is very similar to high school gymnastics, but is for kids ages 5-18 and you can compete up to 10 kids on a team. Its a little less serious than high school gymnastics (most of the time) and so it would be the best place for me to start (if possible) . I will check out my state's website. Thanks again!

I did a google search for MAGA gymnastics and judges and it appears that you can judge provided you are certified as a high school judge in your state. Not sure how updated that info was, but it could be a starting point.
I know my state is short on high school judges, so I imagine if you mentioned your interest to the right people they would be happy to have you and help you navigate the process.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back