Parents Juju's 2nd Meet - The Great - The Good - and the What was she Thinking?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Juju had her 2nd L4 meet of the season and it was interesting to say the least.

She started on Vault and she did an okay vault which scored 9.0 and got 2nd place. Next up bars... OMG.... she nailed her routine and scored a ....(drum roll please)... 9.625 easily earning 1st place. On to beam, not her best routine but it had its redeeming qualities and scored a 9.275 earning another 1st place. Now is floor which is pretty much one of the easiest events but noooo... this is the part where the ... WHAT WAS SHE THINKING??? comes into play. Floor routine was nice, we were all smiles thinking she would have her first all 9 meet but oh no... She totally forgot to do the very end of the routine after the ROBHS. After all this talk of what pose she was going to do at the end and she just leaves the whole thing off. She gets a lovely floor score (read sarcasm) of 8.5 - UGH... earning 5th place. She just laughed it off until she saw her score and she was devastated. She is always so poised and I have never seen her rattled but this one kicked her in the rear. She tried to stay composed but a couple tears made their way down her cheeks. I have never felt so helpless... :( Luckily she managed to get back to her normal self after an ever so brief pity party.

Maybe I am biased but an 8.5? I would love to have some of the judges chime in on what I am missing. I am usually really good at estimating scores (if anything I guess on the low side). I can not imagine she would have been hit that hard for skipping the dun.. dun... at the end of the routine.

Oh well, one must not dwell... she still had her best meet ever winning 1st Place All Around with a 36.4 (almost a full point higher then her prior personal best). They had a handstand contest before awards and she won it for her age group and got a medal for that. She was also very excited to get a medal and trophy for winning the AA. Her team also won the 1st Place team award which is truly exciting for all of the girls.

All in all a great meet but UGH... that floor routine. She has another meet in 2 weeks so I am sure she will try her hardest to reach her goal of 9's on each event. And the good thing... I bet she will never make THAT mistake again - LOL. Gotta find the humor right... :eek:

Video has been posted:
YouTube - jlewis219's Channel

Well I thought her floor was lovely. A judge might know why such a big deduction. And wow! amazing bars. What a little star.

I could not watch the video, it was greyed out
but WOW what amazing scores. I can't wait to see that bar routine.

My DD once completely forgot her split jump jn her L3 beam routine!!

Not sure what the deduction would be, I know for some of the elements are .8 if you don't do it, but that seems high for that little bit at the end of tbe floor routine.

Her floor looked great to me, but I will never understand compulsories, I am all about the skills, not the pretty fluff that holds the routine together.

Juju did a wonderful job and her bars were beautiful, looking at the bar podium I am guessing that your club has some great bar coaches.

My oldest did a similar thing at her first meet last year, new music and little practice time meant that she forgot her fulll turn. She had done a beautiful routine and was feeling elated until someone said where was your turn, then her score came up 0.5 for that skill ans she missed out on a medal, a very tough lesson for them to learn. But it is a lesson.

WOW on that amazing bar routine with a well deserved score!!!! What a difference a year makes. I thought her floor was flawless too. Can't even begin to understand that score but not that it really matter she still managed a great AA. I am sorry to hear she was so disappointed but like you said......I bet she won't do that again. Imagine if she would og received a well deserved floor score she would of been well into the 37's......WOW!

Great job Juju! I think you did amazing! You'll meet your goal of all 9's next meet I am sure. I bet winning the handstand competition and winning an extra medal made things all better. Congrats, she has a lot to be proud of.

Maybe I am biased but an 8.5? I would love to have some of the judges chime in on what I am missing. I am usually really good at estimating scores (if anything I guess on the low side). I can not imagine she would have been hit that hard for skipping the dun.. dun... at the end of the routine.

Video has been posted:
YouTube - jlewis219's Channel

She did a fabulous job! Looked great in all her routines (love the HS on beam!). I'm not a judge, but I'm gonna guess that she got deducted for not doing a required portion and then another deduction for not finishing with the music. I'm guessing that that could add up to quite a bit. The rule book is pretty firm on points deductions for required elements and choreography. After all, placement of arm (holding it in the wrong position) can add up to .3, or so I've heard.

It stinks, but tell Juju to consider it a well earned lesson. I bet she'll never do that again, heehee. And it was still a fabulous meet and she did phenomenal! Way to go Juju!!!!

Great job JuJu! Your beam is gorgeous as are your other events! Awesome scores and AA placement! You'll have all nines next time for sure!

Wow!!! What a great meet! I wouldn't be complaining at all. You think an 8.5 on floor is bad???? Once Dani got a 7.0 on floor which totally threw her out of the AA. I can also remember one meet where Dani also totally left out a pose at the end of her beam routine!!! Actually there was something in the air that day cause a couple of her teammates made the same mistake!!! It happens and you can't expect to be perfect all the time. Your JuJu is still very young and is amazing. You and her should be extremely proud!

You think an 8.5 on floor is bad????

I don't think an 8.5 is bad, but it is bad for her and the routine she performed especially when you look at it in comparison to the performances of others in the meet as a whole.

She is normally in the top of the group on floor scores for her team of 18 girls and there were only 3 lower floor scores by teammates at this meet. The reason for the disappointment is because she nailed the routine otherwise and was devastated at messing up on something so trivial. She must have gotten hit hard on deductions for missing the last part. I would love to know what the judges took off for that just out of curiosity sake. With having a rather large team at a relatively small meet we all watch, cheer and encourage each of the girls. When her score came up, it was one of those moments where you could literally hear the confusion of the crowd.

Juju and I are both very proud of her performance at the meet... she did awesome... it just would have been the icing on the cake without the oops moment. She is such a laid back young girl (even though you would never know that from how she carries herself at meets) and doesn't put pressure on herself like some girls do. She has yet to be nervous before a meet and just takes the attitude that she is going out there to perform for anybody that will watch her. I am truly blessed... she is such an amazing little girl and that is without even considering gymnastics into it.

Last edited:
I don't think an 8.5 is bad, but it is bad for her and the routine she performed especially when you look at it in comparison to the performances of others in the meet as a whole.

She is normally in the top of the group on floor scores for her team of 18 girls and there were only 3 lower floor scores by teammates at this meet. The reason for the disappointment is because she nailed the routine otherwise and was devastated at messing up on something so trivial. She must have gotten hit hard on deductions for missing the last part. I would love to know what the judges took off for that just out of curiosity sake. With having a rather large team at a relatively small meet we all watch, cheer and encourage each of the girls. When her score came up, it was one of those moments where you could literally hear the confusion of the crowd.

Ugh--I hear ya on the whole scoring thing--sometimes I have no idea what the judges see sometimes :rolleyes:. I will never understand the scoring!!!! All in all, Juju did awesome!

I think she did wonderfully!!! Can't beat 1st AA!!!!! WTG!!! Her little memory lapse(forgetting to finish up the floor routine)...will be something you will all remember with a smile years from now:). She still placed well...very well:D! So I'd just chalk it up to experience. Believe me...I'm sure she'll never make that mistake again. You know how we all talk about life lessons, well this is what one looks like;). So proud of Juju!!! Great job & congratulations on a GREAT meet(she totally rocked on bars!!!!).

wow that is a crazy good bar score and the 8.5 on floor...well, it is what it is. Bummer, yes...but I am sure she will improve upon that at her next meet!!:) She is one amazing girlie! Woo hoo Juju!

What an experience! Juju did a wonderful; job! I love the HS contest before awards, keeps the girls occupied for those final minutes and Juju even got a medal! I bet she's upside down right now! Congrats!

Congrats to Juju. As for fx, things happen ...she should not be hard on herself and just take it in stride. She did an awesome job and should be very proud!

I think she did great and think her floor was underscored. I imagine the pose thing could have been a deduction, they seem to practice it quite a bit, which seems silly because it is just a pose. She is rocking and just so absolutely adorable and talented. Abby really loved the handstand contest, she rocked! Her bars are beautiful and she is just a joy to watch.

Great job! She did awesome, at 7 sometimes the "huh" moments happen. Im sure she will meet her goal at the next meet!

Thanks for sharing!!

She looks very poised out there! Congrats to her!! And was 8.5 extremely low or something? That would be a very good score here. Not a judge though, so I can't help with what they're looking for.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back