Parents Just curious - leg muscles

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

guest301

I am (and have been for a while) wondering... My girl (4 1/2 year old) has really mean leg muscles. It's right above the knees. When she walks or seats in the pike you can see them perking out big time and you can see defenatly outline of them. When she was even 2 and when she started mommy and me class she already had them. So I am guessing she was born with them. Something like over developed muscles. When she was 2 I remember I touched her legs by accident when she was jumping and those muscles were hard as a rock. That was so weird. I have been wondering if she has those... What kind of benefit as a gymnast she can gain out of it? What tricks can it help with? For her age she can do a lot already by the way. I am wondering if that helped it or not.

In my totally amateur (and limited) observation, those are the legs of a girl that will be better on beam than bars. Strong legs make for stable landings, but different swinging forces.

There was a 4-year-old like this in my daughter's old group. She naturally had the legs of a football player and could jump higher than anyone. She was so used to having everything come easily that she would cry whenever she tried anything that she couldn't do perfectly the first time, like the splits.

In my totally amateur (and limited) observation, those are the legs of a girl that will be better on beam than bars. Strong legs make for stable landings, but different swinging forces.

I had never really thought about stronger legs being better on beam! It makes sense as my DD has longer legs and not a lot of definition. Beam has never been a strong event for her (she is the "split the beam queen" :D), however her bars always look great!

Pretty much a good thing with some anticipation of flexibility issues. She may end up being well muscled everywhere, as her legs being used the most for play activities could be the first of her muscles to develop, and the rest of her body will follow.

From what I've seen around my kids' gym (in watching both boys and girls), there's not a ton of correlation between the visible size/definition of the muscles and the strength of the kid. Two of our top gymnasts, a L9 girl and a L8 boy, both of whom are ridiculously strong, are downright skinny with twiggy legs and arms. However, we had a couple of L10 girls last year who had huge muscles and were also phenomenally strong.

In both of my kids' training groups, the child with the most visible muscle size and definition is not the strongest in the group.

thanks you for responces :)so i see it can go either way lol
she is the strongest and most flexible in he group so far. she can do splits all 3 ways easy, her sholders are very strong as well which allow her to do perfect controllerd handstand, 1 arm cartwheel along with regular one. with the spot of a octogon mat she is flying on her back handsprings. i know its probably too young for her to do all that :eek:

I don't see much correlation. My DD has large, defined leg muscles and does well on bars. She has a very thin teammate with very skinny legs who is also strong and a great vaulter.

okay. take the pic down please. i got your description just fine. people, you don't know where these pics might end up, okay? thanks.:)

okay. take the pic down please. i got your description just fine. people, you don't know where these pics might end up, okay? thanks.:)
I am sorry how do i take it down? I dont see edit post option,,,

You can only edit for three hours. But mods, and admins, can always help.

Unfortunately Dunno is correct, sharing photos and videos on the Internet is very problematic. Some "watcher" are not on YouTube, and places like this, are not there for any good reasons.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back