WAG L8 beam question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kayjaybe

Proud Parent
What is the penalty for not having a side element in your beam routine? Yesterday dd did double BHS, her turns & leaps, and then a front pike dismount off the end of the beam. She used to do a roundoff BHS or BLO dismount. Her score seemed low for the performance and then I realized she didn’t have a sideways element, so wondering how much that deducted.

No requirement for a side element; it's side OR front. But even there, the composition deduction is very small. It was likely other things contributing to the low score. A picky judge can often find many uses for the pencil on a BHS BHS series.

At L8 there are various composition deductions. They need a forward OR sideways element in the routine or it is a .1 deduction. However, if there is a fwd dismount, then it is only a .05 deduction, so it is unlikely that the score variation is due to not having the roundoff.

Great. Thanks for the info. Glad to hear that an easily fixable item didn’t cause a big score drop.

Yeah, her BHS-BHS isn’t pretty, but she was solid on it (no wobbles) and other skills so just thought the score was a bit low for the performance, but I’m not a judge, so I’m sure I missed a ton of stuff!

She’s been balking on the flight this year (after competing it and nailing it all last year) and having to scratch, so competing it is a HUGE win for her.

Depending on what area she competed in, she may have gotten a not up to competition level as well since she didn't have a C acro. It is not a requirement but in areas where gymnasts are competing back tucks and the like, the judges will deduct.

Depending on what area she competed in, she may have gotten a not up to competition level as well since she didn't have a C acro. It is not a requirement but in areas where gymnasts are competing back tucks and the like, the judges will deduct.
No, they won't. Level 8 has 4 A's and 4 B's required. C's are not required, therefore, no deduction for not having one. There was a time not too long ago that Level 8s were not even allowed to do a back tuck or they would get deducted. (2010). There are compositional deductions, and there is a "not up to level" for acro, but they don't need a C. It's not as strict as the new 9 and 10 compositional deductions.

In regard to the question, "Missing Acro elements bwd & fwd or swd-- Each .10 If only is dismount .05)"

No, they won't. Level 8 has 4 A's and 4 B's required. C's are not required, therefore, no deduction for not having one. There was a time not too long ago that Level 8s were not even allowed to do a back tuck or they would get deducted. (2010). There are compositional deductions, and there is a "not up to level" for acro, but they don't need a C. It's not as strict as the new 9 and 10 compositional deductions.
I specifically said it was not a requirement and also said 'depending on the area she competed', there *may* be a 'not up to competition level" deduction. Not sure how this is different than what you just posted.

So yes, no C is required. But they are definitely becoming more common. All our level 8s have back tucks on beam. And I believe the judges have the liberty to use the level at a given competition for reference so it is possible given a certain group of kids or area that a C would be expected.

So I still think that she could be getting an up to level deduction. I have included the examples given in the code for level 8 beam. Needs an additional single acro but doesn’t need to be a C. And her dismount would be considered too easy for level 8 I think.

Examples for application of deductions for Level 8:
For No deduction (if all are met): 1. Acro series with 2 “B” ight skills 2. Additional Acro element on beam 3. Acro connection to “A” dismount element OR an isolated “B”dismount
For Maximum deduction of 0.20 (if all apply): 1. Acro ight series with only one “B” (or less) or no acro ight series 2. No other acro elements 3. Isolated “A” dismount
But saying that these are pretty small deductions. But comp deductions add up fast and can be a shocker to new level 8s. There are things like distribution of skills and choice of skills matching each other a a bunch of other stuff. Also execution at level 8 seems to really kick it up a notch. Judges are no longer tolerating those little things. It just gets more confusing and more punishing from here. Trust her coaches and enjoy the ride!

So yes, no C is required. But they are definitely becoming more common. All our level 8s have back tucks on beam. And I believe the judges have the liberty to use the level at a given competition for reference so it is possible given a certain group of kids or area that a C would be expected.

So I still think that she could be getting an up to level deduction. I have included the examples given in the code for level 8 beam. Needs an additional single acro but doesn’t need to be a C. And her dismount would be considered too easy for level 8 I think.

Examples for application of deductions for Level 8:
For No deduction (if all are met): 1. Acro series with 2 “B” ight skills 2. Additional Acro element on beam 3. Acro connection to “A” dismount element OR an isolated “B”dismount
For Maximum deduction of 0.20 (if all apply): 1. Acro ight series with only one “B” (or less) or no acro ight series 2. No other acro elements 3. Isolated “A” dismount
But saying that these are pretty small deductions. But comp deductions add up fast and can be a shocker to new level 8s. There are things like distribution of skills and choice of skills matching each other a a bunch of other stuff. Also execution at level 8 seems to really kick it up a notch. Judges are no longer tolerating those little things. It just gets more confusing and more punishing from here. Trust her coaches and enjoy the ride!
Yes, C not necessarily required. I wouldn't take up to level deduction on a level 8 routine that had bhs/bhs series, fwo and RO into full dismount, for example(all B's but adds up to a balanced, difficult routine).

And in addition to the up to 0.2 for acro difficulty level, there is up to 0.2 for balance between acro and dance. So a routine of that has, say, 4 B and 1 C acro skills and only one B dance skill rest A's (or vice versa) will get this deduction.

What is the penalty for not having a side element in your beam routine? Yesterday dd did double BHS, her turns & leaps, and then a front pike dismount off the end of the beam. She used to do a roundoff BHS or BLO dismount. Her score seemed low for the performance and then I realized she didn’t have a sideways element, so wondering how much that deducted.
If her only acro skills are bhs/bhs and a single A dismount, she likely lost 0.15 for up to level. 0.2 is usually reserved for a routine with a single A dismount and a series of bwo/bhs or cw/ro.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back