Large Score Variations

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just finished level 7 states, and I started out on beam. I don't have the video yet, but I'll let you know if I get it. My mount is just a simple swing over, then I turn and do a needle kick. My full turn was a bit shakey, but then I fell on my first back walkover. I got up and did it again, completing my second one. On all three backwalkovers, I had a slight knee bend and flexed toe on all three backwalkovers. I did a handstand forward roll through to a straddle roll into a scorpion. It was pretty good, with no deductions. I did my twinkle toes split jump, and the split jump was almost big enough, but I had a splight bend in my back leg and my toes was flexed. I wobbled a bit about of it. I threw my front tuck dismount, and landed upright with a small step out of it. I had a 9.5 SV, and a fall, so therefore my final SV would be a 9.0.

One judge gave me a 7.5, and the other gave me an 8.0. Why such a big difference in scores? It made a huge difference on my total and how my AA turned out. Did one of the judges make a mistake? Is this common?

~Lauren

That is an acceptable score range. If one judge decided your knee bends/lack of split (jumps/walkovers) were medium deductions (.2) while the other thinks they are .1 this would explain the difference. This is why we have two or more judges, a nice balance between nice and strict.

You can have starting values from two judges differs more than .5. So, a .5 differential in the final scores isn't all that big if you think about it.

Assuming they gave the same SV, then they were probably just scoring differently. As long as they both scored consistently throughout the meet, it doesn't really matter.

I think a .5 difference is somewhat big between two judges, but again as long as both apply deductions consistently it doesn't really matter. Relative placement means more than absolute.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back