layed out full twist drills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Honestly, I found that the best way to do a full, is to just do it. Fulls are extremely easy when you think about it. Once you have a layout, all you really have to do is move your arms. It's as simple as point A to point B. Timing may just need some tweaking. I know different gyms use different techniques, but go onto the tumbletrak or whatever you have that moves into a foam pit, throw a layout, and just pull your arms however your gym wants you to and ride the twist. Get used to the timing then do it on floor.

thats the way that these girls were taught and some of their fulls are not pretty. some of them are twisting right off the floor and all of them are piking out of them to land. so im trying to get them to do some drills for them to have the correct body shape and height for them to do it right on the floor. we do have a resi pit that we tumble into and when they first try them, they just pull it. once they get the feel, then we work on the little things to make it better

I love 3/4 back straight, full spin back to front drop, for fulls. A lot. Also backdrop pullover straight with a half twist to back. Those only work with a real trampoline, but they're FUN & good for the air awareness.

"Just do it" doesn't work as far as having a clean enough skill to progress with, no matter what you're doing. It leads to scary sloppy chucked skills.

I love 3/4 back straight, full spin back to front drop, for fulls. A lot. Also backdrop pullover straight with a half twist to back. Those only work with a real trampoline, but they're FUN & good for the air awareness..

i have no idea what that means. is there a video for an example? or maybe explain it a different way? im sorry but i just dont understand what you mean

I don't have videos of them...but:

3/4 back is a back layout to the stomach, then if they wrap and roll a full turn they land on their stomachs again. I find this encourages a later twist starting out-I'd rather have them underspin the twist than the flip.

Back drop = what it sounds like. Jump up, drop on the back. Then if they pull their feet over their heads, that's a pullover. The first inclination is to pike it, but if they keep their hips extended they can land on their stomach, or they can do a half turn to their backs.

If that makes no sense, I may be able to find a video of components. If I had a video camera I'd get one of my athletes to do it for me, but alas I do not.

that makes much better sense!! thank you. it sounds like a lot of fun actually. i will have the girls do this the next practice^^

hold on guys...STOP! it is not recommended and ill advised that 'first timers' be doing something like that and landing on their stomachs and especially coming from a full twist on a trampoline. layout 1/2's to the back/feet okay. not to the stomach. if you need an explanation then please post. or read the safety manual.

the back pullovers to 1/2 or 1/1 to the feet are relatively safe but must be taught slowly as their heads are exposed to the bed when they turn over. it has been known that a child can pull over vertically lacking somi while twisting and come down on their head with their feet whence they came.

these kinds of drills are for kids doing trampoline every day and are done in a sequential fashion over a healthy period of time. please use CAUTION.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spose I should put a disclaimer with anything hard that I post that I only teach the crazy stuff to T&Ters...the stuff they do easily is way out of a WAG girl's element, with the whole "you want me to land on WHAT?" thing.

yes, i understand ^^^but i think you underestimate what WAG girls and boys ARE able to perform on trampolines. :)

im not going to send these girls off by themselves to do this drill and im definitely not going to have them twist either. Just to work on the layout part first and see how that works out. these girls are not first timers by doing fulls... if that is what you mean and they are old enough and have been in gymnastics long enough to perform this drill safely but they will not be doing this unsupervised. especially since this will be a first for all of us doing this drill

Doing a back layout to the stomach could be very dangerous if they haven't extensively practiced front drops and other lead ups. Just being able to do a full means nothing. I can easily do RO BHS full twist on a gymnastics floor, but I haven't had much trampoline experience (i.e. I've only done things landing on my feet) and I KNOW I can't do a back layout to my stomach (I'm sure I could learn but right now I couldn't just step on a trampoline and do that probably without hurting my neck or back).

I also sorta can do a pullover, but not very well. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do a full twist out of it though, unless I worked on it a little. I'm pretty sure I'm older and have been in gymnastics longer than these girls ;) That's not really the threshold for trying something like this. Even having a good full doesn't make you able to do a stomach drop on tramp safely.

so i guess i shouldnt try this with the girls... i just wanted them to try something new to try to get the correct body shape. its not a huge deal that they dont do this drill. safety is definitely my number one concern so i wont do it^^

They could try it at some point - just make sure they learn good front drops first. I have never bothered to do this, so that is why I wouldn't try it out of a back flipping skill - it would be bound to end badly. I'm sure I could probably learn it in a day or so if I did the proper things.

Maybe some tramp coaches could give you some ideas for the progressions for front drops and skills like this. I really haven't ever worked on tramp much unfortunately. I think it is a good tool but obviously the progressions need to be done so that the gymnast can do things safely.

Our kids who do 3/4 backs have been front dropping for ages. They learn from seat/doggy/belly (or, if that's just not happening, they are over the X in a doggy & I bounce them 3 times, on the 3 they move to the front drop shape first), then seat-belly, then front drops. We talk a lot about how being parallel to the trampoline.

That's my beginning T&Ters though. The kids we have who transferred from artistic started right with "this is the shape. take a tiny bounce and do it right over the X. Yay, front drop!"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back